Now you wouldn’t believe that a fella from Wigan could put something together as ‘Fonky’ as this but we ‘pie eaters’ have a History in funky tunes. Check out any Wigan Casino write up or C.D. compilation and you’ll find that people all around the world (at the time of it’s popularity) knew it was a pretty lively scene.
My folks used to go back in the day and used to own quite a few good records (now their mine Mwa Ha Ha!) which is where the appreciation comes from.
So enough rambling here it is for your pleasure.
1. The Headhunters – God made me Funky.
2. Solomon Burke – Get out my life woman.
3. Bill Withers – Kissing my love.
4. The Three Degrees – Your’e the fool.
5. Joe Tex – Papa was too.
6. Ike Turner – Gettin Nasty
7. The Supremes – It’s time to break down
8. Bo Diddly – Hit or Miss
9. Ernie and the Top notes – Dap Walk
10. Rufus Thomas – Do the Funky Penguin
11. Bob James – Take me to the Mardi Gras
12. Marvin Gaye – ‘T’ plays it cool.
13. The J B’s – Hot pants road.
14. The Fatback Band – Wicky Wacky
15. Dyke and the Blazers – Let a woman be a woman, let a man be a man.
16. King Curtis – Memphis soul stew.
17. The Houston outlaws – Soul Power.
18. Lyn Collins – Think about it.