Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 (build 6.0.2160.205.402.266)
Release date: October 22, 2007
The successor to Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0, the new version includes a number of innovative technologies to deliver even better protection.
The following features are new:
* Improved Host Protection. Unauthorized drivers are blocked from loading and malicious code is prevented from gaining full access to the system, and there is a new focus on consistency and reliability of protection against unknown malware that attempts to circumvent existing security.
* Restricted access to potentially infective websites. The new web control module optionally blocks access to potentially malicious web sites, safeguarding users' systems against inappropriate personal data disclosure and drive-by downloads. The filtering is reputation-based and works in the background, regardless of whether the anti-malware module is active. The list of restricted sites can be manually edited; it is updated via the regular automatic updates.
* Extended monitoring of critical system objects. For more advanced users, this feature allows the definition and management of permissible actions to further control vulnerable system objects and inappropriate program behavior.
* Full Vista and 64-bit platform support. The totally redesigned Outpost architecture means that the product is now compatible with Windows 2000 onwards, including Vista and all 64-bit Windows versions.
* IPv6 support. The new network connection protocol extensively used in Windows Vista, IPv6, is fully recognized, filtered and its data protected. The protocol is the evolution of its predecessor, IPv4, and provides a number of scalability, automation and security improvements.
* Full support for Fast User Switching and low-privilege user accounts. Outpost is now compatible with multi-user Windows environments and works seamlessly with Fast User Switching and Remote Desktop connections. Under Vista, the product fully supports User Account Control security mechanisms.
* Granular web control. Ad blocking and protection against infective websites has been extended to ensure compatibility with even the most complex and sophisticated websites and provide even higher levels of online safety.
* Improved appearance and accessibility. The streamlined interface with Vista-style design lets users review options and access key program features much more quickly.
* Auto-learning mode. When Outpost is first started, it runs in a special "learning mode" where all alert notifications are suppressed. During this time, the program is silently learning the user's typical program activity and firewall-monitored connections. After the learning period is over, the product reverts to normal mode, but will prompt for a response only when new activity is seem, dramatically reducing the number of alerts requiring a user response.
* Improved visibility into on-demand spyware scanning. The scanner displays detailed information about the current scanning and malware removal process, letting users see in real time the types of malware found and eradicated.
* Outstanding performance and very low resource consumption. Gives users more flexibility in setting when future scans will be scheduled, as well as defining more scanning parameters, such as checking critical system areas whenever malware definitions have been updated.