By: Susannah Gardner, Kris Krug
Publisher: For Dummies (October 3, 2005)
Share your home movies or download new software
Find safe files to download, create your own, and use BitTorrent for business.
There's certainly a torrent of interest in BitTorrent! But while it enables you to download all kinds of cool files and to distribute your own creative efforts, it also carries some risks. This book not only shows you how to acquire BitTorrent, but also how to use it without picking up worms, viruses, and lawsuits.
Discover how to:
- Select, download, and install a BitTorrent client
- Manage and store files you download
- Choose software for making movies and audio files
- Understand the legal risks of file sharing
- Trim business costs with BitTorrent
01- Azureus v22.214.171.124
Azureus implements the BitTorrent protocol using java language and comes bundled with many invaluable features for both beginners and advanced users:
- Multiple torrent downloads
- Upload and download speed limiting, both globally and per torrent
- Advanced seeding rules
- Adjustable disk cache
- Only uses one port for all the torrents
- UPnP sets the forward on your router
- Can use a proxy, for both tracker and peer communications
- Fast resume
- Can set a default download dir and move completed files
- Can import torrents automatically from a set dir
- Highly customizable interface
- IRC plugin included for quick help
- Embedded tracker, host your own torrents, automate your shares (periodic scanning of a dir)...
- Distributed Hash Table: host on it a completely decentralised torrent and/or benefit from it when the tracker is offline.
Many useful plugins are available:
- Auto-adjustment of your upload and download speeds according to your network charge with Autospeed
- Auto-download torrents with RSS Feed Scanner
- Schedule upload and download speed limits with Speed Scheduler
- Receive a mail when a download finishes with Status Mailer
- Add numerous info on torrents (Extra seeding columns, Country Locator)
- Remote control Azureus through the Swing Web Interface
Read Azureus tutorial guide here :
02- G3 Torrent v1.01
G3 Torrent is an extended BitTorrent client based on the original Python code.
Its features include:
- Queuing and downloading of multiple torrents. (Starting, stopping, pausing, queue up, queue down etc)
- Real-time list of peer addresses and their statistics. Reverse DNS toggle-able.
- Advanced Progress bar graphically illustrates which pieces of the file have been downloaded.
- A graph to display upload and download rates over time. Each torrent being downloaded has it's own graph record.
- Optional Web Interface for remote adminstration.
- Friends Priority System. Friends IP address can be set to get upload preference if they are downloading the same file.
- Temporary upload priority can be given to peers by right clicking them in the list.
- Peers can be banned by right clicking them in the list.
- With torrents that contain multiple files:
* The user can select the order they will download in.
o This is usefull in cases where you only really want 1 file in the torrent.
o Or need certain files to arrive before others.
o The client will not reject peers who want to upload but do not have pieces from the file that has the immediate download priority.
* Or they can be downloaded in a random order. (Rarest pieces first algorithm not withstanding)
o In most cases this is the best strategy. As it is benefits the overall health of the torrent by keeping a wide range of pieces available, and reduces reliance on seeders.
Â·Â· "Fast Resume" capability.
* When restarting or resuming, the client will automatically reconnect to all of those peers you were connected when you either exited the client or paused a torrent.
- Detailed message view for statistics and error reporting.
- System tray icon graphically displays upload download statistics.
- Peer list view can identify and display what client the peer is using. (Azureus, Shadow, and other clients that identify themselves uniquely)
- Can be set to use user customizable folders for storing torrent and incoming files.
- User customizable automatic stopping criteria. Torrents can be set to stop:
1. Always automatically stop when download completes
2. Only when there other files in queue
3. Only After seeding for N period of time
4. Only After uploading N% or a ratio of what you have downloaded
5. Never automatically stop
- User customizable upload choker (the choker determines which peer you upload to):
- User customizable color settings to change look and feel.
- User customizable global upload rate.
- User customizable upload behavior (upload rate / number of uploads)
- User customizable listening ports, ip bindings
- Multi-Tracker support
- Utilizes the Bittorrent 3.4.1a code-base
- Written in Python. Utilizes wxWidgets.
Extended BitTorrent Client and Tracker. High-performance software for this peer to peer file distribution protocol. A Windows client written in C++. A tracker written in C++, using MySQL as secondary storage.
- Development Status: 5 - Production/Stable
- Intended Audience: End Users/Desktop, System Administrators
- License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
- Operating System: All 32-bit MS Windows (95/98/NT/2000/XP), All POSIX (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes)
- Programming Language: C++, PHP
- Topic: File Sharing
- Translations: English
- User Interface: Win32 (MS Windows), Non-interactive (Daemon), Web-based
04- BitComet v0.60
BitComet is a p2p file-sharing freeware fully compatible with Bittorrent, which is one of the most popular p2p protocol designed for high-speed distribution of 100MB or GB sized files. BitComet is a powerful, clean, fast, and easy-to-use bittorrent client. It supports simultaneous downloads, download queue, selected downloads in torrent package, fast-resume, chatting, disk cache, speed limits, port mapping, proxy, ip-filter, etc.
- Clean and free, without any adware or spyware. ( Please note: Spybot may misreport "Comet Cursor" ).
- Completely new core written in C++, stable and fast, very low CPU usage.
- Multiple simultaneous downloads, ability to select download files in one torrent and set file priority.
- Ability to limit the upload speed as well as download speed.
- Support DHT Network, download trackerless torrent!
- Intelligent Connection Optimize, Auto Optimization for different connections, runs well using all default settings.
- Intelligent Rate Control, optimize the upload distribution in order to get the max download rate.
- Intelligent Disk Cache, decrease the potential damage to the hard disk when high-speed downloading (>500KB/s) by decrease the read / write frequency, extra memory usage is the cost.
- Intelligent Disk Allocating, no long-time disk allocation, also decrease the disk fragment to almost zero.
- Intelligent Hash Scan, no time-consuming scanning when seeding / resume.
- Firewall and NAT Traversal, users behind differect NAT can now connect to each other.
- Auto config ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows XP.
- Auto config port mapping in router (UPnP support is required in router, Windows XP is required).
- Ability to block IP temporarily or permanently, compatiable with eMule ipfilter.dat.
- Ability to chat with other downloaders ( disabled by default ).
- Compatiable with Windows XP SP2 TCP/IP restriction.
- ZIP package is also provided, which runs withoust installation.
- Using only one TCP listening port.
- Support Â· Multi-tracker, and utf-8 Â· extension, UDP tracker Protocol v2.
- [Please Note]: It is reported that Zone Alarm 5.0 conflict with BitComet (and other p2p maybe).
05- BitComet Tracker v0.1
BitCometTracker is a high performance bittorrent tracker with a lot of enhancement. BitCometServer supports both HTTP and UDP tracker protocols, database plugins, and multi-port listening. BitCometServer is tested under heavy load, over 80,000 torrents and 800,000 users. SDK sample of the datebase plugin is also provided.
- High performance, highly scalable
- Easy GUI configuration, simple interface
- Able to listen to serveral ports
- Support both TCP and UDP tracker protocol
- Working with BitComet Client perfectly
- Remote monitor the performance using web browser
- Able to update database, plugin SDK is provided
06- BitTornado 0.3.13 Experimental
BitTornado is an alternative BitTorrent client that allows a bit more adjustments than the original client. The most noticeable differences are the ability to adjust upload rate and the number of maximum uploads. It also includes pre-defined settings for various types of Internet connections.
A highly recommended software for those who do not need to more advanced features of, for example, Azureus or G3 Torrent.