InstantCake is the fastest, easiest and safest way to repair or upgrade your TiVo without purchasing a pre-configured kit or installation service. Boot our custom CD in a standard PC and create a replacement drive for your TiVo.
No serial # needed to use this.
To use this product you need to know how to burn an ISO to a CD or DVD on your PC using a tool such as Nero or Roxio Easy CD creator.
Directions for using InstantCake
* Step 1: Configure your PC such that your CD-ROM drive is connected as the primary slave device. You may need to adjust a jumper on the rear of the CD-ROM; many CD-ROM drives have the jumper set for cable-select (CS) and you can simply move the jumper to the slave position (SL) to ensure it is configured properly. To ensure the CD-ROM is connected as the primary IDE device, use the IDE cable connected to your PC's C drive; this is typically connected to the primary IDE interface in your PC. If you have more than one CD/DVD device in your system, please disconnect all but one of them. We recommend you disconnect your PC's primary hard drive (and any other hard drives that are installed in your PC) to ensure they are not accidentally overwritten by the InstantCake software.
* Step 2: Configure your PC's system BIOS so that you can boot from CD-ROM, and ensure your CD-ROM is installed as the primary slave on your PC.
* Step 3: Configure and connect one or two new drives destined for your TiVo on the PC's secondary IDE interface. You will need to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for master and slave settings for your hard drives' jumpers. Do not use the cable-select jumper settings for your new drive(s); it is important to know which drive is the master and which drive (if you are building a dual-drive kit for your TiVo) is the slave to ensure they are properly installed in your TiVo.*
* Step 4: Apply power, and boot the InstantCake CD. The CD will auto-boot and prompt you with a few questions before building your kit.
* Step 5: Please take note of all messages, warnings and instructions which may be displayed when the InstantCake program is done running. Knowing these important details may make a difference, especially if you need additional support.
* Step 6: Install your new drives in your TiVo; you can use our hardware installation instructions as a reference.