Total Commander is a shareware Orthodox File Manager (OFM) for Windows. Some features include a built-in FTP client, file compare, archive file navigation, and a multi-rename tool. At one point, Total Commander was called Windows Commander; the name was changed in 2002 after the developers received a letter from Microsoft alleging "Windows" was a registered trademark.
This application is written by Christian Ghisler in Delphi 2 (32-bit version) and Delphi 1 (16-bit version). The program is extensible by programmers via an open plugin-API and it has the ability to bind external programs for viewing or editing files. Many plugins are freely available for e.g. different packer formats or file viewer for special file formats.
The main version is shareware – the user should register or delete it within 30 days. The unregistered version nags for registration every time it starts, but it retains full functionality, even after the 30-day trial period.
One notable feature of Total Commander is that in addition to allowing access to Windows partitions, there is a plugin that allows users to access both EXT2/EXT3 and Reiser partitions on the same machine. Hence, for dual-boot machines with Windows and Linux, Total Commander allows access to files stored on the Linux partition while running Windows.
The download is about 2MB; available in both 16- and 32-bit versions, for the various versions of Windows, and is compatible with Linux using Wine.
Total Commander bears greater similarity to Dos Navigator than to Norton Commander.
Features in Total Commander 7.03 now include:
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- New: Updated interface+icons, compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- And many more!