A simple question like “What is DivX?” probably deserves a simple answer, so here it is: DivX is a digital media format like MP3 for video. DivX technology compresses video to a fraction of its original size for efficient storage on your hard drive and easy sharing online.
DivX is a common media language that delivers a pure digital experience, powering a whole range of video services and products that all work together. From video creation tools like Dr. DivX and the DivX Converter to media playback applications like the DivX Player and the DivX Web Player, DivX delivers a seamless PC video experience. Thanks to the DivX Certified Program, it also frees digital video from the PC allowing you to easily transfer any DivX video to a DivX certified device like a DVD player or portable video player so you can watch it on the living room TV, on your morning commute or almost anywhere else you can imagine.
But that’s what DivX is. What DivX does, or more accurately, allows you to do, is far more interesting. After all, technology is only a tool – a powerful one, yes – but like all tools, it is only a means to an end.
We believe there’s a better media future out there waiting to be realized, where the tools required to create content are accessible to all, where that content flows seamlessly yet securely in a digital video environment, and plays back at your convenience on the device of your choice. The media future we strive to build is inclusive. It’s accessible to everyone and empowers the individual – the artist, the documentarian, the storyteller – to reach his or her audience in new ways. By providing access to every aspect of the digital media landscape from creation to distribution to high quality video playback, DivX is opening the door for a new generation of artists and filmmakers to tell their stories, giving strength to diverse voices and democratizing the media landscape.
The DivX Codec takes the power of advanced digital video compression to the next level, encoding video at resolutions up to high-definition 1920 x 1080. That’s right, you heard it straight: 1080i and 1080p, at a fraction of the file size.
* Up to 50% faster decoding on multi-core computers for better HD playback
* New custom matrices that allow better fine tuning of the encoder for specific content types
* Compress digital video 5 to 10 times more than MPEG-2/DVD format and hundreds of times over raw digital video
* Encode high-definition (HD) video at resolutions up to 1080p
* Play DivX videos on almost any 3rd party software media player
* Achieve the perfect balance between visual quality and performance with six carefully optimized encoding modes
* Enjoy maximized performance for all multithreaded processors (Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX)
* Reduce grain and low-light noise (common with DV cameras) without significantly degrading the video with the automated noise reduction feature
The DivX Player supports playback of videos with DivX advanced features including DVD-like menus, chapter points and subtitles so you can enjoy a full-featured media experience on your PC.
* Play any DivX® video up to HD 1080p, including videos with menus, subtitles and other DVD features
* Enjoy 5.1 channel, room-rattling MP3 surround sound and manipulate and improve the quality of the audio in your videos with DFX Audio Enhancer®
* Watch DivX videos with .srt subtitles
* Create video playlists
* Pause and progressively play video downloads
* Add URLs and queue online DivX videos for automatic downloading
* Burn videos to disc from within DivX Player for playback on millions of DivX Certified devices
* Activate and manage DivX Certified devices from within the DivX Player
The DivX Converter is designed to be easy enough for anyone to use, but still manages to pack in some advanced features for those who like more control. You can tweak encoding settings to create a video converted to your precise specifications.
* Convert nearly any popular video format to a DivX file
* Convert digital video camera footage into DivX video with up to 25:1 savings to easily store and share home movies
* Merge several videos into a single DivX video with an auto-generated menu
* Maintain quality while decreasing the file size of HD videos (up to HD 1080p)
* Keep original subtitles thanks to external subtitle mixing support
* Back up your home-made DVDs and fit a whole movie onto one CD using the optional MPEG-2/DVD Plug-in
DivX Web Player
The DivX Web Player is a sleek plug-in that allows DivX videos to be played directly within your web browser offering webmasters, bloggers or absolutely anyone creating a web site (on MySpace, LiveJournal, etc.) a convenient tool for embedding high-quality DivX videos into their web pages.
* Plays all DivX videos - Play any DivX video in your web browser
* Cross-platform support - Compatible with nearly every popular web browser
* Superior compression - Enables higher quality video at smaller file sizes
* Full-screen mode - Double-clicking on the screen switches playback to full-screen mode for a more cinematic experience
* Full-screen navigation controls - Left clicking in full-screen mode accesses convenient video navigation controls
* Windowed mode - Allows users to watch videos in a separate window while continuing to surf (right click on the player to access it)
* HD Playback - Supports DivX high definition (HD) video
* Skinnable - Allows webmasters to personalize the player to match their web pages
* Multiple audio tracks - Supports multiple available audio tracks
* Subtitles - Allows subtitles for multiple languages
* Desktop dimmer – Automatically dims the desktop screen around the web player while videos are playing for a better viewing experience