What Makes AbiWord Different?
AbiWord is unique among word processors in its drive to become a fully cross-platform word processor. Our source code is carefully written so that AbiWord will run on virtually any operating system with a minimum of time spent on porting. This combined with our support for internationalization (the ability to run AbiWord in many languages) gives AbiWord a massive potential user-base.
Currently we run on most UNIX systems, Windows 95 and later, QNX Neutrino 6.2. We also have a MacOS X native port available. There used to be a BeOS port, but that version has been unmaintained for too long and support for it has been discontinued.
bbLean is the lean version of Blackbox for Windows. It tries to keep balance between features and complexity, to give you some efficient means within a compact shell.
bbLean is based stylistically on the Blackbox window manager for the X Window System by Brad Hughes.
* I use this as a replacement for Windows Shell. This is a mod of BBLean-1.1.6 with tweaks and hacks.
Extract the zip-package to a folder on your computer, like c:\blackbox.
Click on blackbox.exe to start.
Right-click on the desktop background to show the main menu.
Get bsetroot-20b [http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/bbsr.htm] for background images, put it beside blackbox.exe.
Get the artwiz fontpack [http://xoblite.net/] and install the fonts from the windows controls.
Checkout other plugins.
When things are running smooth:
You may want to set bbLean as default shell. Read -> [http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/docs/bblean_inc2.htm#set_as_shell].
BonkEnc is a CD ripper, audio encoder and converter for various formats. It can produce MP3, MP4/M4A, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Bonk and FLAC files.
BonkEnc is available for free. However, the project relies on your support in order to push the development further. Please click on one of these images to support the BonkEnc project by making a donation!
BonkEnc makes it easy to convert your audio CDs to MP3 or Ogg Vorbis files which you can use in your hardware player or with your favorite audio software. The program supports the CDDB/freedb online CD database and CDText and automatically writes song information to ID3V2 or Vorbis comment tags.
t's Free. Forever. No Catch. No Kidding
Comodo Firewall Pro
The Award-Winning Comodo Firewall Pro
* PC Magazine Online's Editor's Choice
* Secures against internal and external attacks
* Blocks internet access to malicious Trojan programs
* Safeguards your Personal data against theft
* Delivers total end-point security for Personal Computers and Networks
Install now for out-of-the-box protection against identity theft hackers, Trojans, scripts and other unknown threats
Free Firewall Download Firewall Software Free Firewall OEM Firewall
The only firewall that doesn't leak
Unfortunately, most firewalls leak. But Comodo's Firewall is unique in that it passes all known leak tests to ensure the integrity of data entering and exiting your system. Comodo has put firewall through all kinds of sophisticated tests to ensure its firewall powerful enough to ward off these attacks with default settings. No other firewall has had to work this hard. Take this test yourself.
Clipomatic is a clipboard cache program. It remembers what was copied to the clipboard and allows you to retrieve it, even after you've copied something else to the clipboard. Clipomatic only works with text. It works on any modern version of Windows.
Start Clipomatic, and it will automatically begin monitoring the clipboard and recording its changes. When you want to paste an old item, you just put the keyboard cursor where you would like to paste and press Ctrl-Alt-V instead of Ctrl-V. A menu pops up with your clips - you can select one with the mouse or with a single keystroke. The menu then disappears, and the item is pasted.
This is the menu that pops up with your clips after pressing Ctrl-Alt-V. All you have to do is select a clip and...
Presto! The clip is pasted.
You can optionally select from a set of permanent clips that are always displayed.
CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.
* Name and number.
* Core stepping and process.
* Core voltage.
* Internal and external clocks, clock multiplier.
* Supported instructions sets.
* Cache information.
* Vendor, model and revision.
* BIOS model and date.
* Chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and sensor.
* Graphic interface.
* Frequency and timings.
* Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.
* Windows and DirectX version.
CPU-Z's detection engine is now available through the CPUID SDK, a professional advanced software development kit (SDK) built for the Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Directions for use
Install and Remove
CPU-Z does not need to be installed. Just unzip the files in a directory and run the .exe. In order to remove the program, just delete the files, and that's it.
the program does not copy any file in any Windows directory, neither writes in the registry.
Diskeeper Lite is back in a new improved version. Diskeeper Lite is a fully operational, free manual-only version of Diskeeper. Diskeeper Lite can rapidly analyze fragmentation levels and detect them automatically. This version includes the same advanced defragmentation technology used in Diskeeper 7.0 and it runs on all Windows operating systems from 98 through XP. All "Set It and Forget It"® scheduling, system management functions and network controls are shown and explained, but rendered inoperative. Diskeeper Lite is an ideal download for everyone serious about automating defragmentation but would like to know more about Diskeeper first. Lite will help everyone select the right full-featured Diskeeper version(s) for their homes and/or business sites.
*The Owner site of Diskeeper doesn't have a free version -> http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp?
Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for audio CDs using standard CD and DVD-ROM drives. The main differences between EAC and most other audio grabbers are :
* It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
* It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that can’t be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player Anzeige
With other audio grabbers you usually need to listen to every grabbed wave because they only do jitter correction. Scratched CDs read on CD-ROM drives often produce distortions. But listening to every extracted audio track is a waste of time. Exact Audio Copy conquer these problems by making use of several technologies like multi-reading with verify and AccurateRip.
*Some times I use this, others BonkEnc, to rip music, depends of the CD. If more scratches that BonkEnc couldn't read, then I use EAC.
FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.
FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec, and the only one that at once is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, has a well documented format and API, and has several other independent implementations.
*I included the latest FLAC-1.2.0a, but didn't test it.
Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
Download version 0.9.4.3
* Audio formats supported: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA, WMA.
* Full unicode support.
* Advanced tagging capabilities.
* Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
* ReplayGain support - both playback and calculation.
* Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
* Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
FastStone Capture is a powerful, flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle regions, freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows/web pages. It has innovative features such as a floating Capture Panel, hotkeys, resizing, cropping, text annotation, printing, e-mailing, screen magnifier and many more.
No Adware No Spyware
* A small floating Capture Panel that can be dragged anywhere or minimized to the Windows tray area
* Resource friendly - uses a very small amount of memory, especially when minimized to the Windows tray area
* Global hotkeys to activate the program's capture capabilities anytime, anywhere
* Efficient tools to capture windows, objects, full screen, rectangle/freehand-selected regions and scrolling areas
* Capture web pages in Microsoft Internet Explorer, FireFox and Opera
* Option to specify destination (internal editor, clipboard, file or printer) where the captured image will be sent
* Text/Arrowed line/Highlight/Watermark annotation
* Drop-shadow, torn-edge and fade-edge effects
* Add caption
* Resize, crop, zoom in/out
* Support external editors, which allows you to add virtually unlimited editing capabilities to the program
* Save as BMP, JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, GIF, TIFF, TGA and PDF
* Send e-mails
* Send screenshots to Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
* Screen magnifier
* Screen color picker
* Support multiple monitors
* Option to run when Windows starts
* And many more ...
LAME is an MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3) encoder licensed under the LGPL.
Latest LAME release: v3.97 (September 2006)
LAME development started around mid-1998. Mike Cheng started it as a patch against the 8hz-MP3 encoder sources. After some quality concerns raised by others, he decided to start from scratch based on the dist10 sources. His goal was only to speed up the dist10 sources, and leave its quality untouched. That branch (a patch against the reference sources) became Lame 2.0, and only on Lame 3.81 did we replaced of all dist10 code, making LAME no more only a patch.
The project quickly became a team project. Mike Cheng eventually left leadership and started working on tooLame, an MP2 encoder. Mark Taylor became leader and started pursuing increased quality in addition to better speed. He can be considered the initiator of the LAME project in its current form. He released version 3.0 featuring gpsycho, a new psychoacoustic model he developed.
In early 2003 Mark left project leadership, and since then the project has been lead through the cooperation of the active developers (currently 4 individuals).
Today, LAME is considered the best MP3 encoder at mid-high bitrates and at VBR, mostly thanks to the dedicated work of its developers and the open source licensing model that allowed the project to tap into engineering resources from all around the world. Both quality and speed improvements are still happening, probably making LAME the only MP3 encoder still being actively developed.
*This is the beta version of Lame, use at your own risk. [http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php]
Locate32 is software which can be used to find files from your harddrives and other locations. It works like updatedb and locate commands in Unix based systems. In other words, it uses databases to store information about directory structures and uses these databases in searches. The use of these databases provides very fast searching speed. The software includes a dialog based application as well as console programs which can be used to both update and access databases. Supported operation systems are Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista.
* Efficient (fast and great compression) – Monkey's Audio is highly optimized and highly efficient
* Perfect sound – absolutely no quality loss, meaning it sounds perfect and decompresses perfect (it's lossless!)
* Media Center™, Winamp™, and more support – supported by many popular players and rippers
* Easy – the Windows environment interface is both powerful and easy to use
* Free – Monkey’s Audio is completely free!
* Error detection – Monkey’s Audio incorporates redundant CRC’s to ensure proper decompression of data (errors never go unnoticed)
* Tagging support – Monkey’s Audio uses its own extremely flexible APE Tags so you can easily manage and catalogue your Monkey’s Audio collection.
* External coder support - you can use Monkey's Audio as a front-end for all of your encoding needs
* Freely available source code, simple SDK and non-restrictive licensing - other developers can easily use Monkey's Audio in their own programs -- and there are no evil restrictive licensing agreements
Monkey’s Audio is a fast and easy way to compress digital music. Unlike traditional methods such as mp3, ogg, or lqt that permanently discard quality to save space, Monkey’s Audio only makes perfect, bit-for-bit copies of your music. That means it always sounds perfect – exactly the same as the original. Even though the sound is perfect, it still saves a lot of space. (think of it as a beefed-up Winzip™ for your music) The other great thing is that you can always decompress your Monkey's Audio files back to the exact, original files. That way, you'll never have to recopy your CD collection to switch formats, and you'll always be able to recreate the original music CD if something ever happens to yours.
Media Player Classic is an extremely light-weight media player for Windows. It looks just like the good-old Media Player v6.4, but has lots of nice extra features.
MPC has, for instance, a built in DVD player with real-time zoom, support for AVI subtitles, QuickTime and RealVideo support (requires QT and/or Real player), and lots more.
Definitely a great replacement for the huge and clumsy Microsoft Media Players.
This software is for Windows 2000/XP/Vista only! You can download Windows 9x version from here.
A few years ago, I found myself writing my first PHP projects using metapad. When I was looking around for text editors with syntax highlighting, I have come across the Scintilla source code editing component. I was very much impressed by this project, so I decided to create my own Scintilla-based text editor.
The result is Notepad2, a fast and light-weight Notepad-like text editor with syntax highlighting. This program can be run out of the box without installation, and does not touch your system's registry.
Xion is a high fidelity, easily skinnable, out of this world audio player.
Xion features a new standard in skin support. Baffled by script syntax? Pulling your hair out over slicing up skin elements? Crying over spilt milk?
Xion's approach to skinning will remove all scripting and slicing requirements that other skin systems have placed on users. Xion will directly read a .PSD file and using layer names, instantly create your skin.
Xion also supports direct loading from Zip files which allow you to package several .PSD files in the one package. This has the added benefit of being compressed and therefore consumes less disk space.
Styler has recently became free. This application allows you to do a lot of interesting customizations, though it is not easy to use at first.
It can add a drop shadow to your windows, change Clear Type contrast, change a visual style's color or a wallpaper's and much more ...
But its most useful function is located in the "Styler Toolbar" which can entirely change the look and feel of the Windows XP's toolbar. So, you can change your toolbar to make it look like Windows Vista's or Mace OSX's.
Styler doesn't use much memory (less than 1MB when it's used in the background), but to use all its function, especially for the drop shadow, you'll need a powerful computer.
RoTKiV's "Vista" skin is included in the archive, To install it, just drag and drop the "Vista Styler" folder into "Program FilesStylerTBskinsStyler's", it's that simple.
TrayIt! allows to save precious Taskbar space for minimized windows. For each application which applies TrayIt! it creates a small icon in the System Tray. (System Tray area is located near the Clock). When application's window is minimized this icon represents the application on the Taskbar instead of the regular "minimized rectangle".
It is particularly useful for background tasks you typically keep running on your PC all day long like your favorite E-mail client, Real Player, etc..
TrayIt! runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT/2000/XP and does not require any installation.
Simply create a new folder and place TrayIt!.exe and TrayIt!.dll there. When started, TrayIt! will show a dialog box with a short explanation how to use it. You may choose to load TrayIt! on system startup by selecting "Option" and checking "Load TrayIt! on StartUp" box.
1. You can temporarily put any window in the system tray by keeping down the <Ctrl> button when minimizing the window.
2. To always keep window in the system tray when minimized, click with the RIGHT mouse button on the corresponding icon created in the tray in the previous step and check "Place in System Tray" in the popup menu.
3. Clicking with the right mouse button on the minimize icon will bring TrayIt! context menu for this window. Just check "Place in System Tray" in the popup menu to make window always go to the tray.
4. Please note that context menu will work only for the standard minimize icon and will not pop-up if the program use skins like MS Media player.
WavPack is a completely open audio compression format providing lossless, high-quality lossy, and a unique hybrid compression mode. Although the technology is loosely based on previous versions of WavPack, the new version 4 format has been designed from the ground up to offer unparalleled performance and functionality.
In the default lossless mode WavPack acts just like a WinZip compressor for audio files. However, unlike MP3 or WMA encoding which can affect the sound quality, not a single bit of the original information is lost, so there's no chance of degradation. This makes lossless mode ideal for archiving audio material or any other situation where quality is paramount. The compression ratio depends on the source material, but generally is between 30% and 70%.
The hybrid mode provides all the advantages of lossless compression with an additional bonus. Instead of creating a single file, this mode creates both a relatively small, high-quality lossy file that can be used all by itself, and a "correction" file that (when combined with the lossy file) provides full lossless restoration. For some users this means never having to choose between lossless and lossy compression!
WavPack employs only well known, public domain techniques (i.e., linear prediction with LMS adaptation, Elias and Golomb codes) in its implementation. Methods and algorithms that have ever been patented (e.g., arithmetic coding, LZW compression) are specifically avoided. This ensures that WavPack encoders and decoders will remain open and royalty-free.
WinSpy++ is a handy programmer's utility which can be used to select and view the properties of any window in the system. WinSpy is based around the Spy++ utility that ships with Microsoft Visual Studio.
WinSpy++ can obtain the following window properties:
* Window Class and Name.
* Window procedure address.
* All window styles and extended styles.
* Window properties (set using the SetProp API call).
* Complete Child and Sibling window relationships.
* Scrollbar positional information.
* Full window Class information.
XMPlay is an audio player, supporting the OGG / MP3 / MP2 / MP1 / WMA / WAV / CDA / MO3 / IT / XM / S3M / MTM / MOD / UMX audio formats, and PLS / M3U / ASX / WAX playlists. A load more formats are also supported via plugins. When XMPlay was first released in 1998, only the XM format was supported, hence the name "XMPlay".
*Here is the latest XMPlay with the plugins that I use. Just Unpack to a folder (let's say C:\Program Files) and run XMPlay.exe.
The lightweight version of xplorer² is not a crippled unusable salesman of the professional version. It shares the same browsing and management engine, and gives many rival professional file managers a run for their money — literally! It is a complete little file manager, albeit lacking a bit in bells and whistles.
You will find the missing features in a table further down. In summary it suffers a bit in terms of customization and it won't offer you the scrap containers — so you can't use the powerful search command. Other than that it is the real deal and please don't knock it till you tried it!
Technically speaking this free version is unsupported, but you can post your issues and questions in the appropriate forum and assistance will come your way.
For all private and academic users
The free version is for private (home) or academic (school & university) use only. You cannot use it in any commercial context, including but not limited to: corporate, office, military, government etc. All commercial users must obtain a licence for the full version.