And NO I am not being paid to advertise this free app, it's just something I learned to use everyday - much like google is for the internet!
What is Secure Open XP (SOX)?
Well if anyone else has been getting sick of Viruses and hacking in the Windows OS's - then this is for you!
Why Make it at all?
It has some Unique features put in to make it 100% Secure against Viruses, Spyware and other nasty things happening over time on your PC's connected to the internet.
* Most Microsofts non essential Apps and Tools are removed as default
* Included instead a range of Open Source and Freeware tools in there place
* Pre configured a Firewall and Antivirus/Spyware tool to accept the default Open tools included with this release
* Totally disabled Internet Explorer from having ANY power what so ever on the OS, Unlike many releases that remove IE from their Releases - I found it better to include it and pre configure it to have no Java, Flash, ActiveX, BHO, Toolbars or any other form of power
* Pre Configured gpedit.msc to block access to things that are common for letting badware through as all the open source apps use their own methods that aren't dependent on Microsofts constantly hacked tools and features
What sacrifices are there?
* Main one being your computer will need to be told to allow things until it learns what U use, only takes a day or two to get it all learned up
* Internet Explorer is almost 100% useless, using Firefox or download Opera to replace it
* No MUI supported, this is an English only OS, although it does allow changing Currency Format, Location, Timezone and Keyboard to suit your needs
* Microsoft Updates, as I added my own security solution these fixes will be unneeded anyway, but the alternative is Microsoft re enabling features I turned off and removed as well as attempting to blacklist your OS, for no other reason than their own greed and dominant control of the PC Market
How did I do this?
After trying a few different methods to block things I found COMODO Internet Security had everything I wanted available to me, just needed to be pre configured to not ask so many questions for your default installs items. Right clicking the System Tray Icon for it allows you to Switch modes of it's Actions/Questions, Please use this whenever possible, it allows install mode, learning mode and safe mode, these are the main modes I reccomend as each one provides you with ways to use your PC without 101 questions being asked while still offering a secure way to control your PC.
Remember this OS is over 99% Open Sourced, only thing in the Gray area is the Student Key I use as default, you can still change the key to your own after the install completes (making it 100% legal).
With 50 Applications available from the ssWPI menu and 85 Small and Free games included, this is a complete alternative to having to switch to linux if you already own a XP Key.
Why did I make this public?
I thought if people were as annoyed at spending more than 1/2 their PC using time updating protection, scanning for viruses or just being paranoid about everything you click on the internet, then what solutions is there?
There is only 2 -
Make Microsoft Windows more secure myself.
Install Linux and give up on some of the 3D games I sometimes play (Dual boot isn't an option for me).
It went beyond that tho, I thought if I include all the same tools that Linux uses as default, then it would inheriat some of it's security, while at the same time, getting users used to using Open Sourced alternatives to the commercial products, this will allow switching to Linux to be a lot smoother in the long run as all the apps can import settings and data from your windows machine straight into Linux and you will know how to use them already.
So backup your Important Data, Reboot your PC with this in the Drive and install the Last Windows OS you will ever have to install (That offers Direct X 9 abilities, no Security problems and a Tweaked Experience that is only matched by Linux).
Why not use Windows 7 or Vista?
Main reason is cost, XP is cheaper to get hold of and after 2010 will become Abandon ware (Free), So if you need your PC to preform a job, or to produce work, entertainment or just use the internet, there is no valid reason to need anything more than XP. The only thing stopping me using Windows 98SE instead, is the fact it doesn't have NTFS support or allow HDD's over 128GIG to be used to there full potential. Well that and it crashes more than a Learner Female Driver in a Busy city
Please Consider trying this for a solution and or a base OS to keep your PC up and running for years instead of a few months and sometimes only days, without being bombarded by Spam, popups, adds, viruses, spyware, addware, Viagra eMails, Internet Attacks, Bot Software and Trojans. We don't need to worry about all this anymore, it's a scare tactic, Microsoft actually leave their System unsecure to allow Anti Virus Companies to make money from this flaw. So by using a Free Anti Virus tool, it in effect saves you money and gives you peace of mind, knowing you'll never get Black listed keys or unable to update your Protection Databases.
I'd like to thank the open source communities for their amazing work and if they wish to use anything or request answers to my release I am always here and always watching (Link from Autorun Menu).
Don't Sort Startmenu from SetupS
Sort as LastXP/V Startmenu v4
Sort as Kazz Startmenu
Keep Accessories Startmenu
ppApps Shortcut Creations v3
ppGames Shortcut Creations v3
Dot.NET AIO 2.2 (Stimpy)
Kels CPLBonus Addon v9.2.4
Kels Uber Addon v13.8.7
LastXP Context Menu Extras 1.3
Autoit 126.96.36.199 with SciTE4AutoIt3
Comodo Firewall Pro 3.8.64739.471
Home Bank 4.0.2
Java Runtime 6 Update 12
K-Lite Mega CodeC 4.6.2
Open Office 3.0.1
SetupS SendTo Extension v188.8.131.52
Virtual Clone Drive 184.108.40.206
Vista Mouse Cursors Addons
VLC Media Player v0.9.8a
Post ppApps Shortcut Creations v3
Post ppGames Shortcut Creations v3
Audacity 1.3.7 Beta (Unicode)
DVD Decrypter 220.127.116.11
FoxIt Reader 3.0.1301
Free Commander 2008 .06c
Inno Setup 5
LastOS Brute Removal Tool v1.2
Link Luster Clean 18.104.22.168
Media Player Classic 22.214.171.124
SetupS ppApp v126.96.36.199
SpyBot S&D 1.6.2
Games Launcher 2
A Game About Bouncing
Amusive Checkers 2
Big Sol 3D
Bricks Of Egypt2
Bridging The Gap
Fury Of The Furries
Habitat For Horror
Hex A Hop
I Wanna Save The Kids
Jill Of The Jungle
Lemmings - Oh No More
Light Cycle 3D
The Lost Vikings1
Lure Of The Temptress
Maniac Mansion DeLuxe
Polychromatic Funk Monkey
Prince Of Persia1
Robbie Swifthand and the Orb of Mystery
Sid& Als Incredible Toons
Swords And Sandals 1
Swords And Sandals 2
The Fog Fall
Titus The Fox
To The World Tree
Tower of the Sorcerer
Word Mojo Gold