Planxty - Cold Blow and the Rainy Night (1974) - Irish Folk Music
Planxty serves up a delectable dish of traditional folk songs here. "Johnny Cope" combines the standard tune with a hornpipe of the same name. Three polkas are featured next: "Dennis Murphy's Polka", " 42 Cheque", and "John Ryan's Polka", played as a medley.
The album continues with a handful ofreels, a Bulgarian dance, and a poignant version of "The Little Drummer" (not to be confused with "The Little Drummer Boy"). A subtle, solemn version of "The Lakes of Ponchartrain", a tune that dates back to the war of 1812, follows. A set of double jigs continues the musical journey, and the albumcloses with an emigration song, "The Green Fields of Canada".
1. Johnny Cope
2. Reels - Dennis Murphys / £42 Cheque / John Ryans
3. Cold Blow And The Rainy Night
4. P Stands For Paddy I Suppose
5. Polkas - The Old Torn Petticoat - The Dublin Reel - The Wind That Shakes The Barley
6. Bansea's Green Glade / Nominsko Horo
7. Little Drummer
8. Lakes Of Ponchartrain
9. Jigs - The Hare in the Corn - The Frost is all Over - The Gander in the Pratie Hole
10. Green Fields Of Canada