Click our Google Ads randomly ,even if you just want to see the site,it helps us pay the server bills ! and doesn't cost you anything but a little good will which we need !
It's a Thank You for the uploads ^
eComStation 2.0 RC1 (OS2) (www.softzone.org)
< ORIGINAL THREAD >
=== eComStation 2.0 RC1 README ===
!!! WHEN TESTING BETA SOFTWARE, ALWAYS BE SURE TO HAVE A TRIED AND TESTED
BACK OF YOUR SYSTEM !!!
Thank you for your interest in testing the latest version of eComStation 2.0.
A great deal of effort has been made to improve the usefulness to the
product. Please see the 'WHATSNEW.TXT' document for an overview of all
This product is available for download to all registered users of Software
Subscription Services for eComStation. For more information, please
This release offers a number of improvements that we would like to have
tested on a larger number of configurations. These are:
** Preboot harddisk integrity check **
There are several situations which may cause installation problems with LVM
in the install process. In this release, it is possible to disable the
integrity check at page 2 (miscellaneous) of the eComStation installer
- PBR problems: Set when either the 'hidden sectors' or the geometry fields
in a bootsector do not match the position of the partition or the used
- CHS problems: Set when the CHS-values in a partition-table for a
partition do NOT match the current disk-geometry used by the operating
system. This may lead to error from (mini)LVM about the disk being
'corrupt'. Another possible cause for this error is that if there are
any partitions present on a disk that have NO LVM information at all,
and are of a type that gets a default driveletter assigned in that case
- Boot problems: Set when extended-containers are marked ACTIVE, when
multiple primaries are marked ACTIVE, or if any non-standard flagbyte
values are used in the partitiontable. These errors MAY lead to the
system failing to boot properly!
These will now be detected before the installer starts and an option to fix
them is being presented. If you choose not to fix them, you are not able
to proceed the installation.
This technology uses a custom DFSee 'engine' and should be safe, however,
neither Serenity Systems International nor Fsys can be held liable for any
damages that may occur to the data on your harddrive.
** Harddisk volume resizing **
This version has a custom DFSee engine that enables reliable RESIZING of FAT32
and NTFS filesystems to allow shrinking an existing Windows installation to
make room for eComStation on the same system. While this functionality has
been available in DFSee (and the OEM Engine) for quite a while, it was NOT
considered reliable enough to offer to end users during eComStation install.
Starting with DFSee release 7.12, and the OEM Engine based on that, the
reliability of resizing has improved to the point where it can be used
without hesitation for this purpose. A Windows NTFS filesystem resized by
DFSee will pass a subsequent Windows CHKDSK with NO ERRORS now. The engine
included in RC1 is at level 8.08.
The GUI to this tool has been updated and is now using a graphical interface.
To invoke it, please select 'Paritition Resizing Tool' from the Installation
Volume Manager which can be called during installation (choose 'New Volume'
to start MiniLVM). It will take a while to complete loading, when done,
please select Next to show the list of resizable volumes. If the list is
empty, this means there is no suitable volume detected that has enough free
space for it to be resized.
** Bootable JFS **
This release of eComStation contains the option to install the operating
system on a JFS volume. The advantage of doing this is that the amount of
diskcache is only limited by system memory (typically 10% of available
memory is assigned)
This increased cache size gives a huge gain in overall system performance.
To install onto a Bootable JFS volume, you will have to select 'JFS' as
filesystem type in the 'Format Volume' page of the installer.
A number of analysis tools are available on the install CD:
cachejfs.exe - query and set parameters of cache
cstats.exe - query usage of cache
jfschk32.exe - chkdsk launcher during boot (can be used instead of chkdsk)
chklgjfs.exe - show results of last chkdsk
dumpfs.exe - dump internal structure of JFS
logdump.exe - dump current state of log to JFSLOG.DMP
validfs.exe - show current state of JFS
xchkdmp.exe - show results from chkdsk.new
xchklog.exe - dump results of last chkdsk to chkdsk.new
xpeek.exe - utility for interactive work with structure of JFS
** Genmac **
This package provides generic driver support for several network interface
cards under OS/2 and eComStation. Moreover, Genmac is enabled to support WPA
encryption with the Wireless LAN Monitor 3.x or better.
Genmac and the Wireless LAN monitor will be installed when the appropriate
hardware is detected by the installer. If it is not detected, you can
manually select the driver in the network installation dialog.
Note: only the selected driver will be copied onto your system, in order to
prevent problems with the MPTS installer later on. This may seem confusing,
when you run MPTS in a later stage, it will not show all Genmac supported
A full list of supported NIC chipsets can be found in 'WHATSNEW.TXT'.
Support has been added to autodetect over 300 NICs that are using one of
** ACPI & APM **
Support for ACPI is available in this release. The current version is 2.22.
ACPI will be automatically enabled if appropriate hardware is detected.
You can manually enable or disable ACPI support at page 2 (miscellaneous)
of the eComStation installer preboot menu. Even if not installed, the
corresponding documents are installed on your harddrive. You can find
detailed information and testdocuments in ECSDOCACPI and ECSDOCAPM
Several tests can be performed, please refer to ECSDOCACPITESTER.DOC
When ACPI is installed, there is a number of utilities from the ACPI
Toolkit you can use, see the list below:
AcpiTree.exe - Show ACPI tree
ButtonJin.exe - Wait press Power Button (as demon), GUI
WaitButton.exe - Wait press Power/Sleep button, VIO
PowerOff.exe - Power Off (immediate!!)
SetGetThrtl.exe - Get/Set throtlling CPU
UpTime.exe - Show uptime via PM Timer
GetValue.exe - Get current value from PM Timer
AcpiIRQ.exe - Show current IRQ routing
IrqStat.exe - Show IRQ calling statistics (SMP only)
SetGetState.exe - Get/Set frequency/power state
EmbeddedEvent.exe - Show events from Embedded controllers
GetNotify.exe - Show notify
Thermal.exe - Show temperature of thermal zone
ScanPCI.exe - Show PCI devices
TmrTest.exe - Test working of timer (testing IRQ0 timer 0)
** multicore CPU support **
This release supports the installation of eComStation on a MultiCore CPU
computer. This includes Intel Core Duo , Core2 Duo and AMD 64 X2.
To enable it, you can do so in the ACPI Wizard that is launched from the
Post Installation tasks at the end of the installation. Alternatively you
can start the ACPI Wizard at any time from the install/remove folder in
the Local System folder on the desktop.
The ACPI Wizard will try to determine your system configuration and set
parameters accordingly. You can manually change them of course.
Please note: many drivers are not SMP capable, which may cause
instability or unexpected behaviour on your system.
For more information please refer to ECSDOCACPIACPI_SMP.DOC
** SMP support **
It is also possible to install eComStation 2.0 RC1 on a regular SMP
machine. You will have to activate it with the ACPI Wizard from the
Post Installation Tasks wizard that is started at the end of the
installation. This should enable you to properly finish installation,
before activating the SMP feature.
** eComStation Virtual File System (Samba client support) **
Samba is a SMB/CIFS protocols file and print sharing server/client set
originally made for UNIX world to cooperate with corresponding Windows and
OS/2 servers or clients. eComStation has a native implementation of
SMB/CIFS server/client set - IBM LAN Manager and IBM Peer. These products
have not been recently updated and may have some compatibility issues with
modern Windows SMB/CIFS implementations.
Serenity Systems International has reached an agreement with Blueprint
Software Works for the inclusion of the 'eComStation Virtual File System'
driver which provides support for Samba Client. Currently a GUI to
configure it is lacking, but an example of how to mount a Samba resource
can be found in ECSDOCEVFSREXX
== REPORTING ==
To tell us your findings, please create a report at:
You are also welcome to join the TestTeam if you want to discuss this beta
and future developments. See http://ewiki.ecomstation.nl/TestTeam for
== DISTRIBUTION / CREATING CDS ==
This product is provided as a downloadable ISO file, this is a raw CD image
that you can burn on CD-R media. For instructions on burning the CD image
to CD please consult the PDF document howtoburncds.pdf in the same
The file to download is: ecs20rc1_cd1_en.zip
== REGISTRATION KEY REQUIRED FOR INSTALLING ==
For the time being you can use the eComStation 1.2 (or 1.2R) key to install
this beta release of eComStation 2.0.
(c) 2001-2007 Serenity Systems International
==== WHATSNEW for eComStation 2.0 RC1 ====
* Added ACPI Wizard that will detect system features and can be used to
install ACPI and kernel options
* Added TZ update for Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition - US DST timezone tool
* Split up netlabs (kLIBC) and innotek (Odin Runtime) libraries, are now
installed with WarpIn
* Added support for the eComStation Installation Framework. Will always be
* Added logic to load TESTCFG2.SYS when ACPI is selected, prevents hangs
on certain configurations
* Added english helpfile to accomodate checkdisk help button
* Added 47 NIC devices to the hw detect engine, like nForce and Broadcom
* New bootlogo and desktopbackground, reflecting "RC1" status
* Updated USBDock to 20070504 release
* Updated WarpIn to version 1.0.15
* New versions of UPDTBMGR, MINILVM
* Updated ZIP to 2.32
* Replaced outdated ArcView 1.2 helpfile with the one of ArcView 2.0
* Updated eWorkPlace to 1.0.8
* Updated Firefox to version 184.108.40.206
* Updated Thunderbird to version 220.127.116.11
* Updated UniClip 0.2.2
* Updated Cairo to 1.2.4 and DSSaver to 1.7.5
* Updated Dani IDE drivers from 1.7.7 to 1.7.10
* Updated non-SMP (W4, not UNI) kernel to 14.104a
* Updated SMP kernel to 14.104a
* Updated firewall utility to version 1.2.4
* Updated NewView to 2.19
* Updated NewView en_us helpfile to 2.19
Fixes since the previous beta release:
* Updated PMMERGE.DLL and symbol files to 14.106 (APAR PJ31908)
* IBM APAR PJ31319 (SYS3184 in PMCTLS.DLL)
* IBM APAR PJ30811 (Trap in FTPD)
* IBM APAR PJ30821 (Error in TELNET)
* Updated syslevel.bdd to bdd fp3
* Fix modal problem of status window of PMFormat (in installer)
* Some applications (EPM amongst others) weren't installed in Beta 4
* 'Advanced' button in Screen properties notebook now works
* Opteron CPU now supported in SMP mode
* 4OS2 windows now open a new session, defaults to root of bootdrive
* Improved layout and wording of Preboot Disk Integrity check messages
Updated / added drivers:
* updated DANI tools to 1.7.10 level
* updated DANIS506.DOC to 1.7.10
* added ACPI package 2.22, can be manually selected in preboot menu
* Updated ACPI and APM support to 26/05/2007 version
* Added 47 NIC devices to the hw detect engine, like nForce and Broadcom
* UDF 2.16
* IBM APAR PJ30964 (UDF.IFS update)
* IBM1S506.ADD 10.161 (was 10.152)
* Intel SpeedStep(R) (APM) 10.163 (was 10.156)
* IBM Single Mouse driver 10.163 (was 10.152)
* KBDBASE.SYS to 10.070 (was 10.056)
* Updated IBM1S506.ADD to 10.161
* Updated OS2CDROM.DMD to 10.163
New features of previous release:
* Lucide document viewer (Lucide GA release)
* Added LxLite 1.3.3 to the distribution since resmgr uses it
* added bzip2 to ecsin
* Security/2 added (optional from 'experimental features' in advanced
* Added 4OS/2 to Additional Software
* Added 4OS/2 prompt shadows to Command Prompts folders
* Added Genmac 2.00 with support for 34 NIC chipsets, including many
* Added Wireless LAN monitor 3.00, will be installed when appropriate
hardware is detected or selected.
* Added Faxworks to CD1, it was on CD2 previously
* Added Psi/2 Instant messaging application
* Added Samba Client for eComStation. Right now without configuration GUI
* Added OpenSSH Client for eComStation.
* Added preinstall harddisk integrity check, can be skipped now from preboot
* Updated TZ settings for locale page to conform to new rules. More info at:
* Added USBDock as a replacement of the USB resource manager
* Added UniClip 0.2.1 to base installation, required by OpenOffice.org 2.0.4
* eClock is no longer an install option
* Added kLIBC coreutils
* All libc versions and utils are in WPI packages now
* Added MyIP by Alex Taylor to Baseutil
* Added files to support reversing SMP installation (used by "Post
Installation Tasks" wizard)
* modified desktop scheme
* Scitech SNAP to 3.1.8
* Update realtek 1 gigabit driver
* Added Broadcom 1 gigabit driver
* Updated Uniaud to build RC2
- Latest code for sblive cards
- HDA works for DART (still buggy)
- APM fixes
* Genmac adds support for the following NIC chipsets:
3Com/SKNet Gigabit [10B7:1700]
3Com/SKNet Gigabit [1148:4320]
3Com/SKNet Gigabit [11AB:4320]
3Com/SKNet Gigabit [11AB:4362]
ASUS Wlan RT2400 [1814:0101]
Atheros Wlan [168C:0012]
Atheros Wlan [168C:0013]
Atheros Wlan [168C:1014]
Broadcom A/B/G [14E4:4324]
Broadcom B/G [14E4:4318]
Broadcom B/G [14E4:4320]
Broadcom Gigabit [14E4:1654]
Broadcom Gigabit [14E4:165D]
Broadcom Gigabit [14E4:1677]
Broadcom Gigabit [14E4:167D]
CISCO mPCI [14B9:A504]
Dlink DWL-520+ [104C:8400]
Dlink DWL-G520+ [104C:9066]
GN-WI01GS RT61 [1814:0301]
GN-WI01GS RT61 [1814:0302]
GN-WI01GS RT61 [1814:0401]
Intel 10/100/1000 [8086:101E]
Intel 10/100/1000 [8086:1076]
Intel 10/100/1000 [8086:109A]
Intel 2100 Wlan [8086:1043]
Intel 2200 Wlan [8086:4220]
Intel 2915 a/b/g [8086:4223]
Intel 2915 a/b/g [8086:4224]
Intel 3945 a/b/g [8086:4222]
Marvel 802.11 b/g [11AB:1FA6]
Marvel 802.11 b/g [11AB:1FA7]
Rtl 8180 Wlan [10EC:8180]
nForce 2 10/100 [10DE:0066]
nForce 3 10/100 [10DE:00D6]
nForce 4 10/100/1000 [10DE:0057]
Fixes and updates of previous beta releases:
* Fixed GenMac NIF parsing by installer, fixes the PROTOCOL.INI errors
* Applied Bootable JFS fix (20070104fix)
* various fixes to eStyler installation (especially shutdown options)
* Selecting VGA in preboot menu actually selects proper settings during
* Fixed GENGRADD installation
* Changed behaviour of ACPI/APM to prevent failing suspend mode
* Changed Danish locale to non-EURO
* Split up Thunderbird & Firefox, no longer required to be installed together
* Disabled installation of USBRESMG.SYS by Tame
* Shuffled packages in the package selection page of the installer, in an
attempt to make it a bit more logical. Also, tried to shorten the lists.
* Changed Daylight Savings to 'Daylight Saving'
* Updated MINSTPM to accept eCS 2.0 install CD
* Updated NETWORK.EXE to accept eCS 2.0 install CD
* Added 'set tmpdir' variable to config.sys
* Changed final SGUIDE to not show EscapeGL anymore and to change the
default DHCP timeout to 0 sec.
* replaced DOSCALL1.DLL with patched version that will first look for
messages in msgfile, then in embedded msg, instead of the (incorrect
default) other way around
* applied PJ31116 - fixed WPCONFIG.DLL to accomodate comet cursor +
suspend (official APAR from IBM, now bld 14.105)
* applied pj31068 - fix for more than 1024 printer in prdesc.lst
* Binary fix to MPG.DLL number 2 by Sebastiaan Wittmeier. Fixes chipmunk
* Applied Yuri Proniakins patches to install ewps properly
* Added WarpIN components needed for creation of eWPS WarpIN package
* Fixed eWPS ACPI dependency
* removed 'illegal' schemes from eSchemes WPI package 1.27
* Java 142: Added missing path for the font registration (fixes bug 1165)
* Bugfixes to ECSGUI packages and ESTYLER.
* Wording improvements in installer.
* Minor adjustments to desktop layout.
* cleaned up reseller section and added link to eCSoft/2 in URL folder
* Changed VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 1536 (seems a popular compromise value)
* Changed default DHCP timeout to 0.
* SSES.SYS now uses /q (quiet) parameter when installed.
* Changed some logfile names (FFOX, TBIRD, SSES) so they fit 8.3 characters.
* Removed 'MOZILLA' from default Thunderbird & Firefox path in installer GUI.
* Improved some more wordings in the English packages list and message file.
* TCPCFG fix for Java 1.4 (CFG2NATV) is now always installed.
* Various updates to eStyler so it actually works now (mostly). The shutdown
properties notebook is broken, though.
* Applied fixes in ECSGUI.CMD.
* Updated SigmaMD5 to version 1.53
* Updated 4OS2 to version 3.04b
* Updated Newview to v2.18.1
* Updated Tame/2 scanning application to 1.05 (to be selected in Bonus
* Upgraded Archive Viewer to v2.0
* Updated Minilvm to 2.20 with resize feature
* Updated resmgr to the version posted by Chuck McKinnis dd 20060614
* Updated Doodle's screensaver to 1.7, added SlideShow module
* Memdisk and OS2CSM to 20061030 build
* Updated firewall to latest available version in Generic Network Utilities
* Updated Java Runtime to 1.4.2_09
* Updated eWorkPlace to 1.0.7, enabled these features:
- Extended sorting
- eComStation Kernel object
- improved traywidget icon