This is a working patchstick to enable sshd on Apple TV with software version 2.1
It is a ssh only hack, no other software is installed on the Apple TV.
1. Open a terminal window (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal)
2. cd to the directory where ATVpatchstick2.1.img.bz2 is downloaded
3. issue the command bzip2 -d ATVpatchstick2.1.img.bz2
4. insert USB stick (minimum 1GB)
5. find the device name for the USB stick with command diskutil list
6. issue the command dd if=ATVpatchstick2.1.img of=/dev/diskX bs=1048576 (where x is the number found in step 5
7. Eject the USB stick through finder
8. insert USB stick in your Apple TV
9. reboot your Apple TV
10. Wait until the message appears on your TV that patching is done and you can reboot the Apple TV.
11. ssh is now enabled, ssh [email protected]
I made this torrent because I did not want to use the "commercial" ATV4windows patchstick, it installs way to much crap imho, I only want NitoTV installed.
Also because I read a lot of other users had trouble putting together the patchstick because they did not have the Tiger install CD/DVD.
Tested and working with ATV 2.0 updated to 2.1
Have fun with your ATV.
- 1GB stick wasn't really needed, 128MB would have been enough, but 1GB was what I had lying around, so the dd image was taken off that
- The first time ssh login seems to hang, after trying a couple of times you will be able to log in, I'm not sure why this is, maybe sshd keys are generated or something.
- As it says on your TV when the stick boots, it is safe to ignore the "listening" errors.