* Easily install to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
* Booting from CD (or DVD), the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
* Booting from CD (or DVD), save everything back to the CD.
* Booting from USB Flash drive, minimise writes to extend life indefinitely.
* Extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
* Boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
* Have all the applications needed for daily use.
* Will just work, no hassles.
* Will breathe new life into old PCs
* Load and run totally in RAM for diskless thin stations
These are extraordinary goals, yet Puppy comes close to achieving them all. The fundamental reason is that Puppy has been built from scratch, file-by-file, and is not based on any other Linux distribution. One of the most amazing features of Puppy is the range of powerful applications yet such tiny size ...and the speed.
Puppy really is small, the live-CD typically being 85MB, yet there really is a complete set of GUI applications. Being so small, Puppy usually loads completely into RAM, which accounts for the incredible speed.