Ho-Ho-Hooo! Merry Christmas! On the behalf of the Sabayon Linux team, we're pleased to announce the immediate availability of Sabayon Linux 4. The foundations of our new way of doing Linux Desktop are now ready. Bringing a more accessible, easy to use and fast way of doing business and home computing in a Web 2.0 flavour is what we are going to achieve by the beginning of the new Year. New approaches, new ways of facing user-related issues start today. So, don't wait any longer, bring this magic to your PC and get ready for the future!
For you, Sabayon4 offers an easy to use and attractive desktop coming with thousands of tools and applications, such as effortless connections to any kind of wireless network, Web and Multimedia applications (Java, Flash Player, Google Earth, Picasa, etc), browsers (Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, etc), instant messaging clients (Pidgin, Kopete, aMsn, etc), multimedia and playback tools (Elisa Media Centerl, GeeXbox, VLC, Smplayer), productivity tools (OpenOffice, Abiword, Gnucalc, Kontact, Adobe Reader).
Technically, Sabayon4 has been completely rebuilt on top of GCC 4.3, for i686 (32bit) and x86_64 (64bit) architecture. As you can read, the 32bit flavour switched from i586 CHOST to i686, unleashing a further boost for all the supported Processors.
* Music by: Pornophonique - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (from: http://www.jamendo.com/it/album/7505)
* Boot speed improvements, 25% gain
- Boot services optimisation
- Services now started in parallel
* Entropy Package Manager 0.24.6, featuring User Generated Content, Website integration and 100+ bug fixes
- 8500 applications available
- No compilation required
- Easy and fast security and general system updates
- Fully compatibile with Portage 2.2 (EAPI2 compatible)
- User Generated Content, make your vote and comments count on our development!
- Textual and Graphical advanced clients, Equo and Spritz
- Fully reliable Updates Notification Applet
- 15% of speed gain over 0.23 (in 3.5.1)
* Ext4, NTFS, AUFS and UnionFS Support
- Ready for the future today, Ext4, the future Linux Filesystem is now a reality!
- Does your Windows(tm) system contain music and photos? We support it out of the box!
* HAL-based GPU and Input devices detection thanks to X.Org 7.4
- Supporting AMD Catalyst Drivers 8.11 and Open Source RadeonHD
- Supporting NVIDIA Drivers 180.11, 173.14.12, 96.43.09 and 71.86.07 through an automated selector
- One click 3D Desktop Effects support
* Incredible set of ready-to-use applications and Desktop Environments:
- KDE 3.5.10 (Classic mode)
- KDE 4.1.3 (Advanced mode, available through our repositories)
- GNOME 2.24.2
- XFCE 4.4.3
- LXDE 0.3.2.1
- Openbox 3.4.8 RC1
- Fluxbox 1.1.1
- OpenOffice 3.0
- Firefox 3.0.4
- aMule 2.2.2
- Wine 1.1.10
- Google Earth 4.3.7284.3916 and Picasa 2.7.3736.15
- Adobe Flash 10
- Java 184.108.40.206 and IcedTea6
- VirtualBox 2.0.6
- and other 1000 applications available!
* Sabayon Linux Installer:
- Customizing your installation is now easier and faster
- Ability to choose between 5 different pre-configured installation profiles
- Faster post-installation configuration
* Media Center functionalities:
- GeeXbox 1.2
- Elisa Media Center 0.3.5
* For the future:
- KDE 4.2 ready!
- Can be upgraded to any 4.x Sabayon releases without a hitch!
- an i686-compatible Processor (Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron, AMD K6-2, Athlon)
- 512Mb RAM
- 16 GB of free space
- A X.Org supported 2D GPU
- a DVD reader
- a Dual Core Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or better, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or better)
- 1024Mb RAM
- 32 GB of free space
- A X.Org supported 3D GPU (Intel, AMD, NVIDIA)
- a DVD reader