This is my new "PowerPack" remaster of best distro i've tried: PCLinuxOS!
The remaster requires a DVD for installation, as it's now sized 1800mb! installed size is 5.8gb!
It has been completely updated since my last remaster a year ago, and while in the previous one I've tried to show new users that Linux can look like XP/Vista then this time I've went to the other side and gave it a "Leopard" style in most of the elements (borders, buttons, colors...). But the main thing i kept trying to do is make it simple and have the fullest and the best "out-of-the-box" experience for new users. However, because of certain applications that are included in this remaster, i am creating two ISO's for download. The first one (this) contains non-free applications, that ARE free for download and usage but not open source. The other remaster (i'll dub as OSE) will be a complete open source version, so users from relevant countries will have no legality issues when downloading.
My Remaster is based on PCLinuxOS made by Texstar and The Ripper Gang, it's only thanks to them that it exists! what I've done is just take an existing perfect system and fully updated it and added everything that i saw fit for a new user coming from Windows.
Installation is very simply, and I've created step-by-step photo guide, that will show you how to easily install on even a 10gb partition/drive: Installation Guide
There are LOADS of changes in this remaster compared to any of my previous ones,
- Kernel 188.8.131.52.tex3
- Languages: English (default) & Hebrew (can be removed!)
- Firefox 3.5 (using OSX Leopard skin) / Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (using iLeopard) / Songbird 1.2 (using iTunes Feather skin)
- KDE is 3.5.10 (yes, i'm aware of 4.2 release, i still don't like it)
- Shorewall Firewall
- Wine 1.0.1 (for Windows Compatibility)
- OpenOffice 3.1 & AbiWord (both with Office 2007 file support!)
- Archive Manager from Gnome (WinZIP style of handling compressed files)
- Compiz Fusion 0.7.8 (pre-configured with latest plugins! random effect for best "show off"!)
- KWifiManager & NetApplet (easier monitoring and configuration of Network and WiFi)
- P2P apps: aMule / KMLDonkey / Frostwire / Linux DC++ / Nicotine-Plus / Vuze
- Instant Messaging: Kopete / LICE / Kmess / Skype
- KDE's Personal Information Manager with Windows Mobile Synching Support!
- RSS: Knode / KnewsTicker / Pan Newsreader / Akregator
- Google Gadgets!
- Emulators: Nintendo NES, SNES 64, DS / Sony PlayStation / MAME / Sega MegaDrive (using gens)
- Multimedia: iPod Manager / JAlbum 8.3 / Timidity for Midi Playback! / Xmms (with WinAmp5 skin) / VLC 0.9.9 / KMediaInfo
- Elisa Media Center for easy to use single interface for all multimedia needs!
Included the following non-oss:
- Nero Burning Rom 220.127.116.11 Trial (need to Register to work!)
- Google Earth 5.0
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 & Flash Player 10
- VirtualBox v3.0 with USB support!
- RealPlayer Helix
Also includes: Win32codecs and DVD Decryption! you CAN remove them using Synaptics!
There are a lot more special things, Firefox / Thunderbird and Songbird have been heavily configured with a lot of plugins and extensions to make them far more then a regular download. There is also HFS applications included so you can use your OSX in Grub Boot Manager and access it, also grub menu has been completely altered with better descriptions for new users.
Please note: This Remaster is NOT endorsed by the PCLinuxOS developers! and you probably won't get much assistance from the forums!
Lastly, in order to accommodate a new user coming from a Windows OS, I've done two things which CAN cause a security issue but BOTH are easily changed by the user. First, when installing the Remaster, you are giving a CHOICE not to use password on your root account. This enables using Synaptic and the PCC without needing a password (but does NOT run your user as a root or runs scripts as root, those will require logging as root or using su) however it will cause the system to be more open to hacking just like in Windows!
Secondly, I've created a File Association for easier installation of .bin/.sh files (such as: GoogleEarth and nVidia's Installer), it will however enable a user to accidentally run a malicious code application. If you do NOT want this risk, it CAN easily be removed by clicking on the KDE / Control Panel, going into KDE Components / File Associations and under application click on the remove for Binary Install.
If you wish to avoid having these security issues, make sure that during installation you TYPE a password for your root and in the File Associations you REMOVE the Binary Installer settings. This will make the system just like any other installation, it's primary design is to allow a new user coming from Windows to be more comfortable in Linux, these are optional settings and can be removed as mentioned.
I've worked hard on this Remaster and adjusting it according to several requests and using it myself on my own computers.
I'm hoping all the notices I've written will put users at ease and at least try the Remaster before judging it too harshly, Linux is a customizable system and you can adjust everything according to your own personal needs. Credit for PCLinuxOS itself is only to Texstar and The Ripper Gang which in my opinion is the best and easiest Linux to use, so if you don't like mine then try the official! and I'm more then positive you will like it.
This will be my final remaster, So i hope you enjoy this and appreciate the efforts I've put into it, you can of course feel free to do your own remasters based on it. This Remaster can be updated using the Synaptics just like any other PCLinuxOS installation, so you will have no problem removing or adding an application of your own choice.
Logon Details: root (no password) or guest (no password)
This is the md5sum: 574d0a9e6a0bcf7ed0b7af83a5daf8d7