Today marks the release for the third Mythbuntu alpha image. With this release, we introduce an AMD64 built image as well a standard x86 build. Should there be enough demand for a PPC build, we will do one of this for the next alpha.
A lot of the feedback from Alpha 2 was very positive, and alpha 3 adds a variety of additional features not present in alpha 2.
Changes from Alpha 2:
* All kernel modules shipped within the Gutsy kernel. No need for compilation. Kernel upgrades will pull in new modules as well.
* Remote control selection. Both within the installer, and LIRC debconf
* Automatically load kernel modules, and select a lircd.conf shipped with LIRC
* Generates a lircrc for MythTV, Xine, Mplayer, & VLC automatically.
* A complete pyGTK based application is shipped now for configuring in Live mode
* All settings can be saved to a flash drive
* Configures Remote per new LIRC support
* Mounts SMB/NFS shares for videos/music/pictures
* Customizes the hostname
* Tests MySQL connection info prior to connecting
* Allows for a fully live mode based frontend. Searches for flash drives upon boot and loads the configuration rather than into the installer if one is found.
* A "standard" mythbuntu installation meta package has been produced and included. This will make sure that when upgrading between releases, all new requirements will be added without needing to perform a new installation.
* A default-settings package is now shipped. All configuration files will be included in this.
* You don't have to be connected to the web for install anymore. A LiveCD repository is included now for any packages needed during ubiquity.
* Multiple tuners can be selected during installation