What is GeeXboX ?
GeeXboX is a free embedded Linux distribution which aims at turning your computer into a so called HTPC (Home Theater PC) or Media Center. Being a standalone LiveCD-based distribution, it's a ready to boot operating system than works on any Pentium-class x86 computer or PowerPC Macintosh, implying no software requirement. You can even use it on a diskless computer, the whole system being loaded in RAM.
Despite his tiny ISO image size, the distribution comes with a complete and automatic hardware detection, not requiring any driver to be added. It supports playback of nearly any kind of audio/video and image files and all known codecs and containers are shipped in, allowing playing them through various physical supports, either being CD, DVD, HDD, LAN or Internet.
GeeXboX also comes with a complete toolchain that allows developers adding easily extra packages and features but that might also be used to give birth to many dedicated embedded Linux systems.
GeeXboX 1.2-beta2 (12/14/2008)
Here comes GeeXboX 1.2 second beta release. Thanks to your feedback on forums, we've been able to iron out a lot of nasty bugs from beta1. There's no major changes in terms of features but the distribution is now much more stable, which is always a good thing. Most of the corrections took place at the driver level, as many people encountered some issues with hardware support. The few PowerPC users that still exist will also be pleased to know that we've manage to resurrect the port to this architecture (latest release was 1.0, more than 2 years ago).
We truely hope it'll be the very latest beta release before 1.2 comes out. In the mean time, just test this one out.
Detailed Changelog (relative to 1.2-beta1 release):
- Upgrade Linux kernel to 22.214.171.124
- Massive firmwares support upgrades: fixes many driver loading issues.
- Update uClibc to 0.9.30.
- Restore PowerPC architecture support.
- Update X.Org server to 1.5.3.
- Add HAL support, X.Org now uses evdev/XInput to handle input devices: this provides a complete X.Org settings autodetection.
- Fasten X.Org startup.
- Remove RadeonHD driver, use legacy ATI instead (should fix some X.Org ATI drivers issues).
- Upgrade Intel X.Org driver to 2.5.1
- Many UDEV related rules changes (should fix some legacy PATA devices driver loading issues).
- Fix LIRC Serial driver issues.
- Fixes some CD/DVD loading issues (bad fs was used on Video DVDs).
- Restore UPnP feature.
- Fix FBI Image Viewer loader.
- Various enhancements on info display menu.
- Many fixes to WebGUI.
GeeXboX 1.2-beta2 (for x86_32, x86_64 and powerpc computers) is available from http://www.geexbox.org