The Sherlock Holmes series is known as one of the best franchises in adventure games and is acclaimed by critics worldwide. Now, the detective is back in what will be his most terrifying investigation. In this great adventure game, the player will track the most dangerous killer England has ever known: Jack the Ripper.
1888, London, district of Whitechapel. A series of particularly horrible murders takes place in this district of the East End of London where atrociously mutilated prostitutes\' bodies are found. The police are unable to find a serious lead and the murders increase creating a real psychosis. Sherlock Holmes starts looking for clues in the dark and sinister alleys of Whitechapel in order to follow the macabre trail of the one the press now calls Jack the Ripper. During a frightening adventure, Sherlock Holmes will try to bring out the true identity and the motives of the one who hides behind this scary alias.
Fully 3D rendered, Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper will offer players 2 different views that are accessible at any time: a 3rd person view in the purest style used in point & click adventure games, as well as a 1st person view. The player will be free to play in one or the other modes or even combine them for greater immersion into this terrifying adventure
Another novelty: the player will also find an original crime scene reconstitution system that will allow him to test his theories during his progress in the investigation to follow the bloody trail of the terrifying serial killer.
At the time the industrial revolution was in full swing, the British Empire was at its peak. As the premiere world power, England\'s model of wealth and modernity radiated throughout the world. However, Whitechapel District, in the East End of London, hardly reflected this brilliant reality.
Whitechapel was the capital\'s most squalid neighborhood. Within its boundaries lived England\'s worst rabble including alcoholics, beggars, prostitutes…as well as a large community of Jewish immigrants fleeing Eastern Europe\'s ever growing anti-Semitism. In this terrible hole of misery, tens of thousands of people lived crammed within a maze of narrow, sinister, stinky streets overshadowed by fog. To deal with the poverty, the government created Public Work Houses in an attempt to manage the masses.
It\'s within this sinister set, faithfully rendered in all its details and similar to a macabre playground that you\'ll have to investigate and track Jack the Ripper\'s bloody trail and solve one of the greatest mysteries of crime.
This new episode for the series offers a unique game experience thanks to the amazing work achieved on both the technical aspects with an optimized and improved engine, and the gameplay with new features to make the adventure as deep as possible.
The improved graphics engine now allows the use of new effects and the display of finer textures which give a higher degree of accuracy to the roads, alleyways and inhabitants of Whitechapel, faithfully reproduced as they were a century ago. The graphic engine also plunges the player into realistic scenes full of vibrant life. It creates streets crawling with life: dozens and dozens of London\'s slums\' miserable dwellers now wander these dark and filthy byways.
Some new improvements have also been made to the gameplay. New cameras are given to the player who can now switch from one to another at any time. The 3rd person mode offers a new cinematic perspective allowing the player to catch every detail of the scene and to appreciate the many crime scenes in their wholeness. On the other hand, the first person mode lets the player take the famous detective\'s place and offers a total immersion in the poor districts of London at that time. This system shows a greater accessibility to all and especially to the adventure games fans usually divided between these 2 modes. This game avoids thwarting the player by imposing him a given gameplay.
- Penetrate one of the greatest English mysteries and discover who Jack the Ripper really is!
- 2 legendary English characters from the 19th century in a terrifying investigation: Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective of all on the footsteps of Jack the Ripper.
- For the first time, 2 different views that are accessible at any time. Play as you wish: in a classic way with a third person view and the \"Point & click\" system, as well as a first person view for total immersion.
- Investigate in the city of London like rarely seen on screen. During your adventure, go all over the dark and sinister alleys of the district of Whitechapel, Jack the Ripper\'s favored hunting ground.
- For the first time, use an original crime scene reconstitution system to test theories that might lead you on the serial killer\'s track.
- Use and combine more than 100 objects and gather many clues to bring out the true identity and the motives of the frightening Jack the Ripper.
- A progressive hint system in included to put the player in the right direction during puzzle solving.
Published by: Focus Home Interactive
Developed by: Frogwares
Release Date: May 22, 2009