Like many other current games, Magna Cum Laude has a free exploration mode where Larry can walk about campus and interact with students and personnel on the premises. In this mode, Larry can search for hidden money or tokens, strike poses to impress girls, and take photos which can later be sold to collectors. At several locations on campus a minigame can be entered, usually by "activating" an object or a person (starting a conversation). The player must win most of the minigames in order to advance. Minigames started by a conversation usually increase the affection of one of the girls; other minigames can provide money or increase "confidence".
There are several different minigames, and variations on them:
* Chat: the player must steer a sperm icon through a course of "hot spots." Green hot spots result in a good conversation, whereas red spots result in inappropriate and humiliating (but amusing) topics.
* Dancing: a rhythm game similar to Dance Dance Revolution where the player must press the right buttons on time
* Trampoline: a variation of dancing, where Larry is bouncing on a trampoline
* Serve: a variation of the classic arcade game Tapper, where food or other items must be passed to each row before the queue reaches Larry
* Quarters: a drinking game where coins must be tipped in a glass to get the other player drunk
Other minigames included are panty raids and evasion, where Larry must escape other people by running along a set course. Typically in order to "win" a girl, multiple of these games must be played in succession.
The game originally received an "Adults Only" rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board and was subsequently edited to receive a more commercial "Mature" rating in the USA and Canada. In Europe, the game was released unedited on all three systems and featured a disclaimer on the packaging highlighting that it was "uncut". The unedited version was eventually released in North America under the title Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude--Uncut and Uncensored!. The major difference between the two North American releases is that the uncut and uncensored version contains full frontal nudity and graphic sex scenes.
Reviews of the game were mixed, with most praising the game for its humor but panning it for its gameplay (Al Lowe denounced Magna Cum Laude vigorously, emphasizing on his website that he took no part of its creation after being promised so).