Scientists will never learn. They keep trying to create super-soldiers and it always ends in tragedy.
The tragedy here involves the Russian city of Chernozersk; a city that was unfortunate enough to have a secret government lab situated in it. The 'Dusk-12' mutagenic virus was developed to give humans incredible strength and ferocity. But something went wrong. The virus was unleashed upon the unsuspecting population who became crazed, bloodthirsty lunatics. The entire place had to be quarantined.
Several years later, a Russian special ops team is sent to the city to investigate the mess, find out what went wrong and whether there is any chance of curing the surviving population.
Dusk-12 is a first-person action game with a series of levels that are split between two different characters, in two different time periods:
* Lieutenant Andrey Yegorov - One of the task force members dropped into the city in 2028 to investigate. He's a regular army guy, able to use an arsenal of weapons in the usual FPS style and heal himself using med-packs.
* The super-mutant Gorin - His story takes place one year later, after Yegorov's obviously unsuccessful mission. Gorin wakes from cryo-sleep with no memory of who he is or how he came to be in a secret lab. His aim is to escape the city and as he proceeds, he will piece together the story of what happened to him.
Being a super-mutant, Gorin has various abilities he can call upon. The trade-off is that he can't use regular weapons. His abilities are:
* A powerful punch
* A deadly choke-hold that will squeeze someone's life-force out and restore part of Gorin's health
* The ability to throw various objects (boxes, explosive barrels, even cars)
* Flash Speed - A quick burst of speed that allows Gorin to rush through areas or get behind his enemies
* Slo-Mo - Slows everything but Gorin to a crawl, allowing him to easily take out a group of opponents
* X-Eye - A black-and-white night-vision mode
* Mad Wave - Only available late in the game, this is an area effect power that sends all of Gorin's energy out in a highly destructive wave.
(The last four of these abilities all use 'energy' - which replenishes over time.)
Dusk-12's chief points of interest are its two different characters and gameplay styles, their interlinked stories and also the inclusion of authentic Russian military hardware, some of which had never been used in a videogame before. These weapons include the Saiga 12K combat shotgun, Vintorez sniper rifle and AK-108 assault rifle.
- DVD-ISO with fixed exe
- English translation patch