CD1 archives: 49 x 15 MB CD1: FLT-FS2A.001 ->.049
CD2 archives: 44 x 15 MB CD2: FLT-FS2B.001 ->.044
CD3 archives: 44 x 15 MB CD3: FLT-FS2C.001 ->.044
Best System Requirements: Pentium 266, 32 MB RAM, 250MB HD
Note CD2 and 3 are overburns
The drama of the award-winning space combat simulation of '98 continues in
FreeSpace 2, featuring massive juggernaut warships, jaw-dropping visual effects,
and white-knuckle dogfight action. Explore a vast, enigmatic nebula and battle
a mysterious adversary over the fate of humanity.
The year is 2367. Thirty-two years have passed since the Great War. The only jump
node to Sol collapsed long ago, isolating Earth from the Galactic Terran-Vasudan
Alliance (GTVA), a new government uniting old enemies. As the Terrans and Vasudans
struggle to rebuild their civilizations, civil war erupts in the Polaris system.
A rogue Terran admiral declares war against the Vasudans, and his rebellion
threatens the stability of the Alliance. Without warning, the Shivans return,
and the GTVA launches a crusade to eliminate their Great War nemesis.
Once again, the Alliance must crush the Shivan onslaught or else face annihilation
* A single-player campaign with over 30 missions. New scenarios include flying
with Vasudan squadrons, piloting advanced stealth fighters, and "painting"
targets with TAG (Target Acquisition & Guidance) missiles. Command up to eleven
squadmates in battle. Order them to defend, attack, disarm or disable your target.
* An in-depth combat system enables players to target and destroy subsystems,
disabling engines, defensive turrets, missile batteries, and fighterbays.
* Armed with cutting-edge weaponry, new fighters and bombers hurl the player into
complex, fast-paced WWII-style dogfights.
* Encounter 70 space-faring vessels, including these new ship classes:
* With over 60 turrets, Juggernauts span six kilometers from bow to stern and are
virtually indestructible. Stealth fighters are engineered to minimize their EM
signatures, rendering them invisible to sensors except at very close range.
* AWACS enable allied ships to target hostiles in the volatile environment of the
* Gas miners gather deuterium-rich nebular gas to fuel fusion-powered vessels.
* An innovative and immersive nebula environment changes gameplay dynamics.
Impaired visibility, communications, and targeting ability create opportunities
for ambush and new combat tactics.
* Up to 12 players can battle in dogfight, team vs. team (8 players max.),
and cooperative missions via LAN, TCP/IP, and modem.
* Parallax Online (PXO), a free multiplayer matching service, records player rankings
and lists available on-line game servers.
* "SquadWar" pits squadron against squadron in a multiplayer battle for control of
the universe. PXO tracks the results.
* Create and customize singleplayer and multiplayer scenarios with FRED 2, the new
and improved mission editor. Exchange missions with other designers in the
FreeSpace on-line community.
* 3D acceleration (required) improves frame rate and generates stunning graphics
(e.g., higher polygon detail for ships and "free" alpha blending and fogging for
* Supports the latest hardware innovations, such as Pentium III, EAX, A3D, Force
Feedback, and Voice Messaging.