Title : 1001 Brilliant Chess Sacrifices
Author : Fred Reinfeld
Language : English
Size : 8.32 mb
Pages : 252
Format : PDF
Year : 1955
When it comes to studying tactics there are three types of books, Mechanical Instruction book on tactics that spend a great deal of time telling what the mechanical parts of each tactic is with some examples (perfect for a beginner), Opening Traps books that cover from move one moves leading up to the tactic (effective for learning the ideas in your favorite openings as well), and tactics workbooks which give hundreds of different puzzle positions to solve. This book falls into the last catagory.
Why is this specific book bood,
1) Provides a large number of tactics (1001),
2) Breaks each different type of tactic (with brief commentary on the mechanics of it) into separate chapters.
Why there are weaknesses of this specific book,
1) Old English Descriptive Notation,
2) You must go all the way to the back of the book each time you must find the solution to each puzzle,
3) Lost of mistakes in the correct result and solutions to the puzzles. At least 1 out 4 has a major improvement not shown in the solution.
Worthwhile? Yes! Even though this book has weaknesses it is very helpful in improving your tactics. Workbooks and Trap books are really the best two ways to improve tactical learning.