TV : Documentary : TV quality : English
Communism: The Promise and the Reality Set
Communism--the extraordinary social experiment promising equality and freedom which swept from Russia around the world. In the early days, hopes were high, but in the end the story of Communism is on of grim realities. Listen as people from behind the Iron Curtain tell how their lives were affected by this new world order--from the storming of the Winter Palace in Tzarist Russia in 1917 to the swift implosion of communist regimes around the world in the 1980's.
* Red Flag (1917-1936) Communism brings hope--and horrors--to Russia's millions. WG474 (52:12)
* Brave New World (1945-1962) A "cold" war embroils the U.S. and the Soviet Union in a contest of ideologies. WG475 (52:30)
* Fallout (1942-1987) Nuclear energy unleashes unprecedented destruction--and the hope for cheap power. WG476 (53:09)
* Great Leap (1949-1977) Chinese citizens zealously follow Chairman Mao's revolutionary dictums. WG477 (52:45)
* Guerrilla Wars (1954-1981) Revolutionaries use the power of guerrilla warfare in Cuba, Vietnam, and Afghanistan. WG478 (52:01)
* People Power (1980-1993) Communist rule crumbles in the Soviet Union as people find the courage to speak out. WG479 (52:23)
6 hours on 6 cassettes.
Individual videos, 1 hr. $19.95
Communism: The Promise and the Reality boxed set -- $79.95 WG483