Acid jazz (also known as groove jazz in USA) is a musical genre that combines elements of jazz, funk and hip-hop, particularly looped beats. It developed in the UK over the 1980s and 1990s and could be seen as tacking the sound of jazz-funk onto electronic dance/pop music: jazz-funk musicians such as Roy Ayers and Donald Byrd are often credited as forerunners of acid jazz. Acid jazz has also experienced minor influences from soul music, house music and disco.
While acid jazz often contains various types of electronic composition (sometimes including sampling or live DJ cutting and scratching), it is just as likely to be played live by musicians, who often showcase jazz interpretation as part of their performance. The compositions of groups such as Jamiroquai, The Brand New Heavies and Incognito often feature chord structures usually associated with jazz music. The Heavies in particular were known in their early years for beginning their songs as catchy pop and rapidly steering them into jazz territory before "resolving" the composition and thus not losing any pop listeners but successfully "exposing" them to jazz elements in "baby steps".
The acid jazz "movement" is also seen as a "revival" of jazz-funk or jazz fusion or soul jazz by leading DJs such as Norman Jay or Gilles Peterson or Patrick Forge.
01. The Brand New Heavies - Dream On Dreamer
02. Jamiroquai - Blow Your Mind
03. Diana Brown And Barrie K Sharpe - The Masterplan
04. Leena Conquest (and Hip Hop Fingers) - Boundaries (Radio Edit)
05. Guru - Trust Me
06. Digable Planets - Rebirth Of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
07. United Future Organization - Loud Minority (Radio Mix)
08. Freak Power - Turn Out, Tune In, Cop Out (Radio Mix)
09. Incognito – Sunburn
10. Raw Stylus - Pushin' Against The Flow
11. Carleen Anderson - True Spirit (Domino Mix)
12. Gangstarr - Jazz Thing
13. US3 feat. Rashaan - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) (Edit)
14. Corduroy – Mini
15. Jhelisa - Friendly Pressure (Radio Edit)
16. Mother Earth - Jesse
17. Brooklyn Funk Essentials - The Creator Has A Master Plan (Radio Edit)
18. Ronny Jordan & Dana Bryant - The Jackal
19. Chapter & The Verse - Black Whip
20. The James Taylor Quartet feat. Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis - The Theme From Starsky & Hutch