Mozart and Beethoven wrote for the Barrel Organ and Verdi\'s operas became hugely popular in Italy with the help of these instruments that travelled all over the country (this was before the age of recorded music and only the Happy Few went to the Opera). More recently, György Ligeti and Marius Constant [See Charial\'s own site (in French) http://www.musique-mecanique.net/ ] contributed to the repertoire of the instrument.
Pierre Charial, who can be seen at work in a video that is pretty self explanatory http://www.maitresdart.com/pierre_charial/video.htm, is not only a Master \"noteur\" (cardboard programs maker) but also an Interpreter with a capital \"I\".
Using the crank of the organ, the Master craftsman http://www.seniorplanet.fr/mag/pierre-maitre-d-art-noteur.10675.html provides what must be recognized as an interpretation, the turning of the crank being crucial in the rendering of the music.
The Odin organ (Odin is the Enzo Ferrari of Barrel Organs, dixit Charial) :
- has a keyboard with 42 keys and can play more notes than any organ player can with his finger and feet (12 if I count correctly),
- allows very fast notes pinched in the cardboard to be played, such as \"hundred twenty-eighth notes\" (quintuple croches in French), maybe more, you tell me....
- is equipped with 114 pipes, doubled or tripled through a system of stops (stopped flutes , opened flutes, celestial voices),
- covers three and a half octaves (four foot, for the connoisseurs),
- is chromatic (unlike its ancestors),
- is made from genuine wood coming from selected trees.
N.B. : I couldn\'t find any review but, trust me on that, you have never heard anything like it, especially the demonic version of Chick Corea\'s \"Spain\" with its lightspeed notes.
Tech Specs :
Extracted with Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 4
(for details, see CUE and LOG files included in the torrent)
CUE file made for WAV
Converted with dBpowerAMP to FLAC compression 8 (Best compression).
Please let the music grow and seed widely and wildly !!