Greek blues. To someone unfamiliar with this music, the term might sound like a contradiction.In fact, it's more like a tautology.
Rebetiko is not merely a musical genre. It is a way of life, a social ambience with its own styles and rules.
During the 1920s and 1930s the use of hashish becomes markedly present in Greece. In rebetiko songs we find frequent references to the use of hashish.
For the period 1924-36, which is censorship-free, there are many songs where hashish use is either mentioned or is the principle subject.
The song titles speak for themselves. Rosa Eskenazi's Why I Smoke Cocaine; Anestis Delias' The Junkie's Complaint (track 11); Smoking the Hubble Bubble for Hours by Vamvakaris.
01. Marika Kanaropoulou (i Tourkalitsa) - Vale Me Stin Agkalia Sou
02. Stellakis Perpiniadis - Oi Lahanades
03. Giorgos Kavouras - To Paidi Tou Dromou
04. Stellakis Perpiniadis - Mou Fainetai
05. Giorgos Mpatis, Giannis Papaioannou, Dimitris Semsis - O Mpoufetzis
06. Giorgos Mpatis - Sou 'hei Lahei
07. Giorgos Mpatis - O Thermastis
08. Giorgos Mpatis - Atsiggana
09. Anestis Delias - Haremi Sto Hamam
10. Eustratios Pagioumtzis - Ousak-To Tragoudi Tis Xeniteias
11. Anestis Delias - O Ponos Tou Prezakia
12. Anestis Delias - Ton Antra Sou Kai Mena
13. Antonis Kaluvopoulos - Giovan Tsaous
14. Stellakis Perpiniadis - Ego Thelo Prigkipesa