History Of Country & Western Music.
German digitally remastered box-set featuring 400 legendary songs from 185 famous
artists including Roy Acuff, Merle Travis, Bill Monroe, Bob Wills, Chet Atkins,
Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, The Carter Family
Average Customer Review: (five stars)
a FANTASTIC value for a TREASURE TROVE of historic country music!, May 1, 2007
By Mister Charlie (Los Angeles, CA)
One could argue with the inclusion or exclusion of certain songs or artists,
but with this boxed set you get 20 CDS, 400 SONGS of mostly fantastic country & western (& a dash of bluegrass and "cowboy", and there's western swing and honky tonk, etc.) music from the late 1920s to the early 1950s.
From Jimmie Rodgers to Hank Williams, from Bob Wills to Tennessee Ernie Ford,
from Gene Autry to Flatt & Scruggs, and on and on, this set is a superb way to jump-start your classic country collection. If you're already a fan of this music and have cds by many of the artists contained herein, you'll probably find some songs repeated from your current collection, but you'll also find a swath of songs by more obscure artists than those mentioned here...
I certainly hadn't heard of Keith Loyd, Bill Strength or Andy Schroder.
The mastering/recording quality is generally pretty good.
Thanks go to this German record label for offering up this great old American music so affordably.
1. Ain't That Skippin' And Flyin' - The Allen Brothers (1927)
2. Train 45 - Grayson & Whitter (1927)
3. Omie Wise - G. B. Grayson (1927)
4. My Name Is John Jo Hannah - Kelly Harrell (1927)
5. Gonna Die With My Hammer - Williamson Brothers (1927) 3:26
6. Country Blues - Dock Boggs (1927)
7. Ben Dewberry's Final Run - Jimmie Rodgers (1927)
8. Called To The Foreign Field - Alfred Karnes (1927)
9. Pretty Polly - B. F. Shelton (1927)
10. The Ways Of The World - W. M. Stepp (1927)
11. Lullaby Yodel - Jimmie Rodgers (1928)
12. Frankie And Johnny - John Hurt (1928)
13. Old Country Stomp - Henry Thomas (1928)
14. My Little Old Home - Jimmie Rodgers (1928)
15. Railroad Blues - Sam Mc Gee (1928)
16. The Butcher's Boy - Buell Kazee (1928)
17. Wildwood Flower - The Carter Family (1928)
18. The Days Of '49 - Jules Verne Allen (1928)
19. Treasures Untold - Jimmie Rodgers (1928)
20. Get Away From That Window - The Pickard Family (1928)