Here it is at last... one of the many projects I've mentioned so often on FanEditForum but never delivered! :-)
I almost felt like I cheated because this one was relatively quick and dirty, but it's one that I personally always wanted to see, so I thought I'd take a little time and whip it up with Womble. In a nutshell, I've taken the two-part Viva La Bam episode about Mardi Gras and combined the halves into one long episode that runs about 44 minutes. Besides the simple task of sticking them together via a transition (and boy, it helps so much that VLB is filled with cheesy transitions - it doesn't even matter if the ones you add look GOOD! This one does though), I've made the following changes:
* REMOVED: Necessary trimming to make the first episode flow into the second, which means that episode 1 is missing the last several minutes (the preview of what will be seen on next week's episode, as well as the end credits), and episode 2 is missing the opening warning.
* ADDED: The creation of the mayo bomb is much longer, thanks to the DVD special features.
* REMOVED: Within the extended mayo bomb scene, I had to cut Tony's line about "we only make sandwiches here," because the following line ("we're a peaceful RV") is used later in the aired cut, and I couldn't cut it out of either location smoothly. So this time, the whole shot had to be removed, unfortunately.
* The transition from the extended mayo bomb scene back into the episode has been edited to keep a consistent flow, as the end of the extended segment doesn't match with the next segment where Tony puts something gross in the other team's microwave. A transition has been added to mask the jump. I'm not totally happy with this one, but it works.
* ADDED: The 'Dude Eggs' scene is extended to include the extra bit where Don Vito calls the company to find out what the eggs are made out of. The sound mix in the extended version was noticeably different from the mix on the aired version, so I wasn't able to just cut into the extra portion when necessary. I ended up replacing the entire scene in the episode. (Notice that the extended rough version is lacking the cheesy graphics that MTV added to the aired version.) The edit to this scene seems awfully abrupt, but it is actually identical to MTV's edit, music and all.
* REMOVED: A scene with Don Vito yelling about being in the RV for 60 hours is slightly edited to remove a line that is repeated shortly after in a restored deleted scene. Again, the gap is masked by a transition.
* ADDED: The montage before arriving at Mardi Gras is now split thanks to a deleted scene that falls into it. The gaps are bridged by two handy cross zoom transitions.
I was hoping that the boxed set would've had more in terms of deleted scenes, because there are a few episodes on the various sets with a HUGE amount of deleted material thrown into the special features. ("Scavenger Hunt" probably takes the cake, with an extra half hour of material... all of which would be impossible to cut into the episode thanks to MTV's "super cool" editing...) But, I was able to find a spot for most of the deleted scenes, so I was able to add at least eight minutes to the story. The only deleted scene I couldn't use was Don Vito's long rant about Bam 'skating with no balls', because it simply didn't fit anywhere. However, I left the abridged version that played under the end credits.
That's all this edit needs for an introduction... so grab a jar of dude eggs, and enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: I strongly suggest supporting Bam and MTV, and purchasing the official Viva La Bam DVD's if you haven't already done so... if you're a fan of the show, you won't be disappointed! Of course, it goes without saying that Viva La Bam is not my property, but remains in the hands of MTV and Bam Margera Productions.