In each episode, the celebrated hotelier and country house expert Ruth Watson visits a struggling country house and tries to turn their fortunes by giving advice and suggestions to the owner/s.
Series 1 (2008-09)
Episode # Country House First broadcast Synopsis
1. Cothay Manor 09 December 2008 Cothay Manor is a grade I listed medieval country house and gardens, located in Stawley, Somerset. In 1993 Mary-Anne and Alastair Robb bought the house as an empty shell and have spent all their time and funds restoring Cothay. However as a business the manor is losing a serious amount money, and a question mark remains over who will take over the estate in future years. With the situation at breaking point, can Ruth Watson turn round the fortunes of the estate, and help secure Cothay's long term future?
2. Elmore Court 16 December 2008 Elmore Court is a grade II listed mansion, located in Elmore, Gloucestershire. The house has been the family seat of the Guise Baronets for nearly 800 years. The current owner, dance DJ Anselm Guise, inherited the estate from his uncle in 2007 (who had often disapproved of his nephew's lifestyle), with the Baronetcy going to Anselm's 77-year-old father. Now Anselm's laid-back approach has led to the property's slow deterioration, so Ruth must inspire a sense of determination in the owner to save the mansion from falling even further into disrepair.
3. Chesters 23 December 2008 Chesters is a grade I listed 17th century country house and estate, located on the banks of the River Teviot in the Scottish Borders. The estate includes 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) and 14 estate cottages, as well as a mile of the River Teviot. John Henderson, and his wife Ellie would like to leave their city jobs in London and take up permanent residence at Chesters (John's ancestral home), but cannot afford to. Can Ruth help the couple make the estate profitable enough to achieve their dream?
4. Albury Park 30 December 2008 Albury Park is a grade II listed country house with parkland, located in Albury, Surrey. Nigel and Jennifer Whalley bought the mansion in 2004, initially sharing the property with a number of elderly residents. However the other residents soon moved on, forcing the Whalleys to buy their shares in the property, and leaving the couple in £4 million of debt. Therefore, Ruth's plan for a show flat to entice new investors to the estate must work to save the couple from financial ruin.
5. Black Clauchrie House 06 January 2009 Black Clauchrie House is an Arts and Crafts style former hunting lodge, set in 14 acres (57,000 m2) of grounds near Barhill in South Ayrshire. Adrian and Caroline Goodall bought the property in 2004, but have yet to capitalise on their investment. Ruth tries to help the pair take advantage of their home's heritage, but will other professional commitments help destroy the couple's relationship, and put the future of Black Clauchrie House at risk?
6. Pentillie 13 January 2009 Pentillie is a 17th century castle and estate, located on the banks of the River Tamar, near the village of St Mellion in Cornwall. Pentillie has been the seat of the Coryton family since 1698, but current owners Ted and Sarah Coryton (who inherited the estate in 2007) were determined to sell it after various family disputes. However, now Ted and Sarah have fallen in love with the castle and its grounds, and seek Ruth's professional advice to turn the estates fortunes around.