Chance in a Million - UK TV Channel Four TV series from 1984-6 starring Simon Calow and Brenda Blethyn - never officially released on DVD or VHS.
These are a TV recorded VHS rip. The quality therefore is of a VHS recording. It is very watchable, but don't forget TV production quality
was a little less back then than it is now!
I have the other two seasons - if you'd like to see them, leave a comment :)
The premise of the show is that the main character, Tom Chance, is frequently the victim of unlikely circumstances, although he cares little about this and is, in fact, largely oblivious to much of what happens around him.
He meets his long-suffering girlfriend, Alison Little, by chance. This happens when Tom Chance goes to the same pub on a blind date to meet a girl (who is also called Alison), that Alison Little has arranged to meet her cousin Tom (for the first time since they were young children).
Tom is shy towards Alison. However, Alison has fallen in love with Tom at first sight and she is keen for their friendship to develop into something more intimate.
Tom has a tendency to get into trouble as a result of unlikely coincidences. This leads to Tom being arrested for crimes he did not commit — which happens so often that the Police Sergeant eventually gives orders for Tom not to be arrested, no matter how suspicious the circumstances.
Tom has an amusing ability to drink an entire pint of beer in one gulp whilst in the middle of speaking a sentence.
He also has a bizarre obsession with Surrey and England cricketer Alec Bedser, and a cricket bat, which has been autographed by the cricketer, is one of Tom's most treasured possessions.
Series 1 (10 September 1984 – 15 October 1984)
• Plumstones (10 September 1984) – Unfortunate coincidences brings about Tom Chance's arrest.
• Honour Thy Father And Thy Mother (17 September 1984) – Tom is mistaken for a crooked car dealer.
• Flowing With The Tide (24 September 1984) – The bank fails to pay Tom's bills.
• The Birthday Party (1 October 1984) – Tom's party for Alison is a disaster.
• Man Of Iron (8 October 1984) – Tom's bad luck affects Alison's visiting cousin. *
• Stuff Of Dreams (15 October 1984) – Reporters expect to find a crime boss at Tom's.
• Simon Callow as Tom Chance
• Brenda Blethyn as Alison Little
• Hugh Walters as "Mr. Little"
• Deddie Davies as "Mrs. Little"
• Bill Pertwee as "Sergeant Gough" — (series 2 & 3)
• Angus MacKay as "Mr. Wingent
• Rosemary Smith as "Janet" — (series 3)
• Geraldine Gardner aka Trudi Van Doorn as "Barbara" — (series 2 & 3)