This CD-ROM is designed to be an interactive guide to the music and lyrics of Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks circa 1966/67 and for the finished version of SMiLE presented in 2004.
This is NOT an Audio CD. It is an interactive CD that addresses SMiLE as a subject of study -- a historical perspective on the music, its creator and its time. Supported by facts, dates, biographical information and speculative writing, it is THE tool for exploring SMiLE -- what it was, what it might have been and what it became!
It is not just a collection of MP3s. It is also a comprehensive timeline of the original Dumb Angel/SMiLE project and can be used as a data source for further research and interpretations.
It also contains observations and writings about how the world received SMiLE in 2004.
The below is an update of what's been added since the previous version of ProjectSMiLE:
- added a SMiLE primer by Lou Shenk added to Smile writings in 66/67 section
- added the Vosse interview from Fusion 1969 to 66/67 section under SMiLE writings
- added a PDF of the Vosse discussion from SmileShop
- added more pictures to the Various images section
- added the GV announcement image to the GV announcement entry.
- added the SMiLE lyrics to the start page for the Tracks section
- Quit button renamed to Credits
- SMiLE...just the facts added to Smile writings in 66/67 section
- added Beautiful Dreamer reviews
- added Brian Wilson podCast
- added CD reviews
- added DVD reviews
- added DVD scans to the DVD official releases page
- added Japanese release of Beautiful Dreamer to the official releases section
- added Our Prayer (promo) to Official releases section
- added Prokopy notes to Smile writings in 66/67 section
- added a separate page for various SMiLE related images
- added article to "Articles from May 2003 until 20 Feb 2004"
- added bonus disc to Official releases section
- added concert images from BD DVD
- added entry for the Beautiful Dreamer promo in the official releases section
- added entry for the Nonesuch SMiLE radio promo in the official releases section
- added image of Hollywood Bowl poster
- added interviews with Domenic Priore
- added missing image for the sheet of music appearing under "Tracks/Surf's Up/Sheet of music"
- added missing set list from Antwerpen 11 March 2004
- added new artwork
- added the BWPS promo to the official releases section
- added the ESQ - fire to Official releases section
- added the SMiLE EPK
- added the official screenshots from "Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of SMiLE"
- added timeline entry for the marketing stuff for Pet Sounds sessions.
- added various images
- corrected typos
- credits updated
- duplicate avatars removed
- moved the images of the book of sheet music from various images to the entry we have for this book in the Official releases section
- removed entire folder '2004' from the artwork folder
- removed fan mixes
- updated Markus Sandlund's page
- added flash animation for the "Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of SMiLE" DVD
- removed the possibility to "click for full size image" on the Dom P. book
- some timeline entries updated
- updated the Application guidelines page with Credit button stuff and instructions for using the PDF documents
The ProjectSMiLE version 2.1 CD-ROM is distributed by the means of BitTorrent. This short description will guide you through the
steps of getting the disc via bittorrent. If you want to know just enough to get
the disc move on to "What do I need to do?". If you want to get all the details
about BitTorrent here are a couple of links to follow:
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
If you just want to know enough to get the disc, here are a few steps to follow:
- download a bittorrent program and install on your PC. A couple of such programs are:
- "burst!" can be downloaded at: http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/index.phtml?action=download
- "BitTornado" can be downloaded at: http://www.bittornado.com/download.html
- "Azureus" can be downloaded at: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
- download the torrent file for the ProjectSMiLE disc (found in the Files section here in the group)
- start the bittorrent program
- open the bittorrent file from within the program
- specify a folder into which to download the image file for ProjectSMiLE 2.1
- start the download
If you run into trouble, check out the "troubleshooting" pages at the site from
where you downloaded the program (see above).
If all else fails, post a message here on the board and hopefully someone else
among the members are using the same program as you and can be of assistance.
SO, I DOWNLOADED THE FILE, THEN WHAT?
When you have dowbloaded the file (yes, it's only one file to download, although
it is large...), then you open up your disc burning program. There should be an
option in there called something like "Burn image". Choose that option and
select the file you just downloaded. Start the burn!
For you pros out there, take a look at "Mount ISO image"