1. One unknown or in disguise, or under an assumed character or name.
2. The assumption of disguise or of a feigned character; the state of being in disguise or not recognized.
Incognito is an open source LiveDistro based on Gentoo Linux assisting you to securely and anonymously use the
Internet almost anywhere you go, e.g. your home, work, university, favourite Internet cafe or local library. Incognito
can be used from either a CD or a USB drive and has several Internet applications (Web browser, IRC client, Mail client,
Instant messenger, etc.) pre-configured with security in mind, and all Internet traffic will be anonymized. To use it,
you simply insert the CD or USB that you have installed Incognito on in a computer and restart it. Incognito should
then start as an independent operating system instead of Microsoft Windows or whatever operating system you have
installed. It is also possible to run Incognito as a guest operating system inside Microsoft Windows by simply
inserting the media while Windows is running which should present you with a menu.
Incognito is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL (version 2).
* Common Internet applications pre-configured for anonymous use.
* Transparent network filtering which anonymizes all Internet traffic by automatically relaying them
through the Tor network (TCP only, though).
* Compatibility with most modern computer hardware based on Intel technology (otherwise please consider
sending a bug report to help us further improve Incognito).
* Ability to run from USB with persistent user settings and file storage, with optional password protected encryption,
including TrueCrypt hidden volumes for plausible deniability.
* Publish web sites anonymously as Tor Hidden Services when running from USB with persistent file storage.
* Virtualization through Qemu - run Incognito within Microsoft Windows without the need to restart the computer.
* Anonymous email with Mixminion.
* Option to randomize your network cards' MAC addresses when connected to untrusted networks.
* Secure deletion of system memory content on shut down to prevent forensic analysis.
* Except for some drivers (which should be OK) all software used by Incognito, including Incognito itself, is open source
software and thus open for inspection for bugs, backdoors and bad design features unlike most proprietary software.