Culture Documentary hosted by Brian Flemming and published by Others in 2006 - English narration
From exposing the hidden history of Christianity to lampooning the bloody excesses of Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ (which caused Gibson to attempt legal action against the documentary), The God Who Wasn't There pulls no punches.
"irreverently lays out the case that Jesus Christ never existed."
In this critically acclaimed film, you will discover:
* The early founders of Christianity seem wholly unaware of the idea of a human Jesus
* The Jesus of the Gospels bears a striking resemblance to other ancient heroes and the figureheads of pagan savior cults
* Contemporary Christians are largely ignorant of the origins of their religion
* Fundamentalism is as strong today as it ever has been, with an alarming 44% of Americans believing that Jesus will return to earth in their lifetimes
Directed by award-winning filmmaker (and former Christian) Brian Flemming, The God Who Wasn't There includes stimulating interviews with:
* Sam Harris, author of The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation
* Robert M. Price, Jesus Seminar fellow and author of The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man
* Alan Dundes, Professor of Folklore at the University of California at Berkeley
* Richard Carrier, historian and author of Sense and Goodness Without God
* Barbara & David P. Mikkelson, authors of the Urban Legends Reference Pages at snopes.com
* And many others
Dazzling motion graphics and a driving soundtrack propel this uncompromising film that the Los Angeles Times calls "provocative - to put it mildly."
The special features on this DVD are both generous and carefully selected. As DVD Talk puts it: "This DVD delivers the film in a quality presentation, with extras that quadruple the amount of content in a positive way with no filler."
The superb commentary tracks on this DVD are not the usual "making of" chat but instead consist of original material that director Brian Flemming crafted to deepen the experience of The God Who Wasn't There. The two separate tracks are:
* "The Atheists." This lively track features evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion). Topics discussed by this towering atheist figure range from the horrors committed in the name of God to the power of science to combat "religion and all other forms of superstition." Relevant audio from other interviewees is also woven into this timely and candid examination of irrational beliefs.
* "The Scholar." This track delves deep into the Jesus Myth hypothesis with pioneering scholar Earl Doherty (The Jesus Puzzle). If you are intrigued by the possibility that Jesus Christ did not exist at all, you will find this audio track fascinating. Doherty has been studying for decades the evidence that mainstream academics are only beginning to discover. Prepare to be astounded.
The DVD also includes more than one hour of additional interviews on video. These illuminating extended clips did not make it into the fast-paced main feature, but many viewers nonetheless highlight them as a favorite part of the DVD.
Video Codec: XviD 1.0.3
Video Bitrate: 1494 kbps
Video Resolution: 592x432
Video Aspect Ratio: 1.370:1
Frames Per Second: 29.970
Audio Codec: 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3
Audio Bitrate: 192kb/s CBR 48000 Hz
Audio Streams: 3 (2 commentary streams)
Audio Languages: English
RunTime Per Part: 1:00:42
Part Size: 853MB
Ripped by: jvt40
1) Further Information
* Youtube trailer
* Buy the DVD
2) Related Documentaries
* Enemies of Reason
* Root of all Evil
* The Atheism Tapes
* Jesus - The Real Story (Son of God)
* Christianity: A History
* Saint Paul