Movies : Animation : DVD Full : English
Grave of the Fireflies [2-Disc]
In the aftermath of World War II bombing, two orphaned children struggle to survive in the Japanese countryside. To Seita and his four-year old sister, the helplessness and indifference of their countrymen is even more painful than the enemy raids. Through desperation, hunger and grief, these children's lives are as heartbreakingly fragile as their spirit and love is inspiring.
'Grave Of The Fireflies' is a tale of the true tragedy of war and innocence lost, not only of the abandoned young, but of an entire nation. Isao Takahata's rightly revered and thought-provoking anime was winner of a special award at the 1989 Blue Ribbon awards and the Adult's Jury award at the 1994 Chicago International Children's Film Festival.
* Full storyboard option for the entire feature!
* Bonus storyboards
* Interview with director Isao Takahata
* 'Historical Perspective' documentary
* An interview with distinguished film critic Roger Ebert
* 'Video Restoration': a featurette on the restoration of the film
* Art gallery
* Japanese release promotional material featuring an interview with director Isao Takahata and writer Akiyuki Nosaka
* Biographies of Isao Takahata and Akiyuki Nosaka
* Art gallery
* Original Japanese trailer
* Original U.S. trailer