I consider Heat to be a masterpiece in the crime genre. This edit is not intended to improve on the original. It is merely an alternate way to watch the movie (as many fanedits are). I left the scenes involving crimes and police work mostly intact. However, scenes inolving minor characters and personal lives have been cut. This removes a lot of the depth for the characters that Michael Mann developed so well, but it also speeds up the movie and makes it a more straight-forward, cat-and-mouse game between the cops and the criminals.
I thought I'd mix it up a little by putting the first half of the diner scene at the beginning of the movie as a pre-title sequence. By doing this, the full diner scene doesn't slow down the pace later in the movie. And since the first half of the conversation has a less serious tone, showing this part out of context almost makes it seem like their relationship has some history. Only later does the story reveal that they admire each other's dedication to their work and that this is actually the first time they meet face-to-face.
I'm also a big fan of The Shield (starring Michael Chiklis) so I tried to mimic how they do pre-title credits on that show.
Original runtime: 2h 46m (without credits)
New runtime: 1h 40m (66 minutes cut)
- Removed sub-plots involving Eady, Charlene, Justine, Lauren, and Marciano.
- Moved part of Hanna/McCauley diner meeting as a pre-title scene.
- New pre-title credits in the style of "The Shield"
- Removed scene with Chris talking about his marital problems with Neil.
- Removed dinner scene with gang and family.
- Removed Waingro with hooker.
- Removed Donald with girlfriend.
- Removed police get together with wives.
- Removed Hanna/McCauley talking about their dreams.
- Lots of other minor cuts to improve pacing.
Starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Tom Sizemore, Mykelti Williamson, Wes Studi, Ted Levine, Dennis Haysbert, William Fichtner