Welcome to my torrent of Cryostasis - Complete Edition, a totally re-mastered
version of the original retail release from a fan for fans. This version of
Cryostasis is superior to the commercial release in any aspect and is supposed to
give those, who want to maximize their gaming experience the chance to do just
Here's what Cryostasis CE features:
- It includes all available localizations: Russian, English,
German, French, Italian and Spanish!
- All available patches have already been applied!
- Cryo CE is based on the american version, hence no crack is
necessary and your system is not poisoned with Securom or Starforce
- Cryo CE fixes a small bug that prevented users of the US-version not to
see the Prologue and Epilogue under certain conditions
- Cryo CE comes with my own Localizer tool to enable you to not just
switch languages after installation easily, but also to mix
languages within the game. Want russian voiceovers with english
subtitles and french textures? Now you can! It also allows you to
uninstall localizations, so you can install the game with the
languages you want and then slim it down to your liking if you need
- Includes my previously released Performance Mods with an exclusive
setup tool just for this edition. It allows you to experience
performance increases of up to 300 per cent!
- Manuals for all languages have been included
- The dreadful logo playback when the game started was deactivated and
the logos were kicked out to conserve space.
Cryo CE uses its own installer, which is superior to the original one:
- Install as many languages or as few as you want. The original
installer only allowed you to install one language. If you wanted
to try a new one, you had to uninstall and make a complete re-install
- Original Installer didn't place an uninstallation link in the start
menu under Vista. The new one remedies that.
- You can install your game anywhere you want, just as it should be.
The original installer always used the same location unless it
couldn't get informations about your free space, which forced it
into an advanced mode. No such bullshit here. You always have
- The original installer was error riddled and produced error
messages while copying files under certain conditions.
- Installing a language without included voiceovers resulted in a
silent game only with proper subs. This problem can't occur now,
since all localizations are included and even if it happened,
the Localizer tool could remedy that.
- Cryo CE produces a fully valid installation, meaning that you will
be able to update the game, should new patches ever be released!
- The original installer forced DirectX, Adobe Acrobat Reader and
Nvidia Physx Driver installations on you. They were left out to
conserve space and because they become outdated too quickly, so no
such burden here!
- Old Installer was incapable of deleting the old game folder
including subfolders, as well as registry values, leaving behind
many traces on your hard drive. No such sloppy work here.
Everything that is installed, will be removed upon uninstallation!
The strength of this Complete Edition is, as already mentioned, the inclusion of
all available languages for the game and the ability to adjust them to your
liking. Now you can really get that russian feel by playing the game in the
language the game was developed in. But also the other languages are worth
checking out. They all give their own feel to the game and with the ability to
enjoy them with the subs you want, the game finally gets a big boost when it
comes down to the question of replayability. My personal installer allows you to
expand or slim down the game dynamically. Change the language or install new ones
and resume your game with your new settings. No forced languages switches to get
access to the included languages and no complete re-installs are necessary like
with the original installer.
Cryostasis is synonym with hardware hog for many gamers, whether they have played
the game yet or not. My included mods are there to smoothen the gaming experience
by offering you quick, out of the box usable performance profiles. For the pro's
among you, my Performance Manager gives you access to almost 60 settings of the
game's engine to customize its visuals and performance to your liking. It also
includes a backup option, so you can always restore the game to the original
state if you screw up the game beyond playability.
Last but not least, the game not just comes with all available manuals, but also
with my own exhaustive tutorial about the game's in-game settings. This allows
you to tweak it efficiently to maximize that quality/performance relation. No more
To those of you, who only cherish fancy looking torrent descriptions with
expandable images: I don't care for superficial stuff like that, especially not since
it can be deleted so easily and has no real impact on the content itself. Putting
together this release took over a week of work and frustration and other projects
are in the works, so I won't waste any time on that.
For those who want more information about the performance profiles, check out my performance mod thread on the publisher's forum. It contains comparison screenshots between the original setup and the modified versions. Also gives you a good idea about the quality of the mod:
I already discovered a small one under XP. Using the Localizer's delete feature for textures and subs does not remove all the files of that language completely due to long filenames in the folder names. Everything else works though and this bug is not critical, the deletion is just not as thorough as expected. You can also ignore that feature completely as all languages will be removed by the uninstaller eventually anyway.
I only tried it in a virtual XP though, so it might not be a bug in a real XP after all. Would be nice if someone who runs XP could report if he encountered the same problems. In Vista the tool works flawlessly.
Please post your feedback via comment or pm. Did you like what you see? What didn't you like? But more important I need feedback on how everything worked out for you and that includes flawless installs just as well as buggy ones. My testing abilities are very limited, so I try to reduce the error margin for other releases. If you post your feedback, please also state your operating system (including whether it is 32 or 64bit). In case of other problems please add more informations, e.g. RAM and graphics card when you experience game crashes
24 hours later
Wow, over a hundred downloads within a single day, almost matching those of the other Cryostasis torrents and a view count that dwarfes almost all of them. Thanks for the interest! If the feedback keeps coming, you won't wait long till you can grab my next release! To those of you who are skilled in making neat graphical torrent descriptions, you're invited to create one for this torrent. Credit will be given accordingly.
The hardware hog
Want to know what drains your performance in this game? After being deep down in the engine's settings and having optimized the game manually, I wrote an analyzation of Cryostasis' performance-eating features on my blog.
A very special note
I want to thank Banhammer for donating 50GB of ratio just out of the blue to me Since it was apparently this torrent that made him do that, I think my thanks should also be mentioned here So far the gros of my download count was due to downloading all versions of this game, which added up to 9GB, while I was only able to seed back half due to the tremendous amount of seeders, now. Thanks again! Your gift is really appreciated and will enable me to pursue more projects more easily in the future
Bugs and strange behaviour
Several things might happen during or after installation:
- Starting the installer might take up to 10 minutes. This is not a direct issue of the installer, but thanks to Vista's and Win 7's administrative control mechanisms (UAC). On my Vista setup without UAC I experienced no such delay, so try to turn it off to see if there's a difference. Other security software might also be the reason, namely antivirus software that actively monitors the computer and firewalls. Both scan processes that are about to be started. Since the installer consists of a 1GB executable, scanning through all of that (may be even by multiple tools at once) will take lots of time.
- Sometimes some of the background images in the installer screens are missing. I don't have a clue why this is happening. I tested the installer on XP (x86), Vista Ultimate (x64) and Win7 Ultimate (x64) and this never occured to me. However, several users experienced this. This is not a crucial error and setup should be able to complete without a problem. If anyone has any leads on this issue please pm me. I'm thankful for any tip. A wild guess is that security software is blocking the background images. Some firewalls for example block images according to image sizes, filenames etc.
- If the Localizer and Performance Manager don't seem to work, then make sure that you have write access to the Cryostasis folder. This is especially not standard in Windows 7! You can test whether you have write access by using the advanced options in the Performance Manager. Change any value and see if the program accepts the change. This might also happen under Windows Vista.
Thanks to the guys, who gave me some feedback - all three of them! I'm pretty disappointed that among over 160 downloads only a handful of people actually posted how this edition worked out for them. I'm trying to improve this for you guys. It's not like I have to care about this release. It works on all my setups...