When performing data analysis on a population, it is often desirable to categorize characteristics can have many values. Age, income level and credit card score are examples of population attributes that can be placed into “buckets” and easily analyzed based on broad categories (without having resort to linear or logistic regression). While variables can be quickly encoded using IF statements, SAS’s Format procedure provides a more elegant and portable solution.
* Tutorial (MHTML format - contains links to sample code and data)
* Basic knowledge of the SAS Data Step
* Basic knowledge of how to load and execute SAS programs
* Basic knowledge of how to load and save SAS data sets
* Access to SAS’s read/write file space