In the beginning there was dial-up, and it was slow; then came broadband in the form of cable, which redefined how we access the internet, share information, and communicate with each other online. Hacking the Cable Modem goes inside the device that makes internet via cable possible and, along the way, reveals secrets of many popular cable modems, including products from Motorola, RCA, WebSTAR, D-Link, and more.
* Inside Hacking the Cable Modem, you’ll learn: the history of cable modem hacking
* how a cable modem works
* the importance of firmware (including multiple ways to intall new firmware)
* how to unblock network ports and unlock hidden features
* how to hack and modify your cable modem
* what uncapping is and how it makes cable modems upload and download faster
Written for people at all skill levels, the book features step-by-step tutorials with easy to follow diagrams, source code examples, hardware schematics, links to software (exclusive to this book!), and previously unreleased cable modem hacks.