Pro Android is a detailed look at application development on Google’s Mobile OS. It uses the development of a sample application to work through all the options you might want to build a flexible mobile application. The focus is on making viable commercial applications work. The book includes detailed coverage of the Android API.
* Assumes knowledge of basic Java programming principles so that you can follow the code
* Written in an example–driven and practically minded style
* Serves as a tool for hobbyists and professionals who want to create production–quality applications
What you’ll learn
* Adapt existing applications to a mobile framework.
* Understand how an Android application functions and communicates with the handset that hosts it.
* Discover all aspects of developing the mobile features that Android enables including the complexities of timers, services, and multimedia playback.
* Create and display a rich mix of custom–rendered screens and tailored Android widgets.
* Find out all about the Android API and using it to create apps that work across the gamut of wireless devices.
* Understand how location–based services, which are becoming more and more important in the mobile world, work.
* Uutilize Google’s powerful Map tool.
* Understand network connectivity in the mobile world.
Who is this book for?
This book is for professional software engineers/programmers looking to move their ideas and applications into the mobile space with Android. The author assumes the reader has a passable understanding of Java. The reader should be able to write classes and handle basic inheritance structures. This book also targets hobbyist developers looking to navigate the complex minefield of mobile software.