2005-04-16: version 0.99 "Marmitopter"
This release features a major architecture change, the browser itself is now
packaged as a library (the "engine"); the actual app as you know it is simply
the first and only "host" application of this library (exluding the "Embedded
Sample" included in the source package). Apart from these "behind the scenes"
change, no major visual changes (sorry) for end users after this long idle
period, but anyways, here's the list, splitted into 2 groups to reflect the now
separated entities, the "engine" and the "host" application:
- Rewrote the async DNS lookup system (no useless threads).
- Fixed a small bug in the graphics driver which happens not so often but leads
to a crash.
- Fixed some of the display glitches (thin non-redrawed lines) during scrolling.
- Slowed down the "normal" scrolling speed.
- Increased default text size in pages to 18. Can be changed in the Options.
- Restored the original, generic menu options.
- Included a patch by Vedran Ljubovic from links-list mailing list which fixes
minor bugs that prevented logging into Hotmail (but you can't do much in it
- You now can specify your network settings (either static or DHCP) in the
Options Manager instead of relying on the dashboard (SEE NOTES BELOW).
- Basic Flash (.swf files) player with interaction (SEE NOTES BELOW).
- Slightly more useful help system (Help>About) with a brand new "Network Status
and Troubleshoot" page to help fixing connection issues.
- Improved Keyboard/mouse support.
- New option: deadzone for gamepad thumbsticks. Adjust if you have drifting
mouse pointer problems.
- Because of the now lacking menu entry, Video calibration can be accessed at
any time with the BACK button (text entry mode now only available with a left
- To reconfigure your network, go to the Options Manager, "Xbox-specific
options>Network settings, and change the first option to "Yes". There are
basic checks for the IP addresses values but you can easily make the program
crash on startup (during the splash screen) if you're not careful. In that
case just delete your "options" file or edit it manually. Remember you have a
Network Status and Troubleshoot page to help with network-related problems.
- The Flash player is basically the same as the one I released some time ago
("swfx"), I upgraded to the latest GPLFlash version though. However, A LOT OF
ANIMATIONS WON'T WORK WELL OR AT ALL, so you've been warned. And it loads the
entire movie in memory (no streaming), so you may experience crashes with big
files. Parsing can also be long, wait at least 20-30 seconds if it freezes on
To test it, load a .swf file from your hard drive or a web page (usually as
"[EMBED]" hyperlinks), and choose "Open". The animation is displayed over the
LinksBoks window in a "separate" player, not directly in the page yet.
The key/button bindings while playing Flash are as follows:
=Gamepad= =Action= =USB mouse/kbd=
left stick/A Move pointer and click Mouse
B Exit Escape
Y Pause/unpause P
White Rewind R
Start Enter keypress Enter
Black Next Tab
D-pad Keyboard arrows Arrow keys
PLANNED FOR 1.0 RELEASE:
- Extending the library (more bindings and control over the engine).
- Making the engine free all its resources and be startable again after a stop,
and handling of several windows (make another sample application to test).
- Making the library thread-safe if it's not (make some tests).
- Sound in the Flash player :)
- IR remote support in the host app.
- Rewriting the internationalization system, making it available to the host
application, actually using it as much as possible, and updating the
translations (with your help).
- Writing a decent key/button binding page to display in the help system.
- Finally take care of the still unstable FTP protocol.
- Merge the many changes from main Links2 branch.
- Some more GUI improvements in the host app.