This is my M.U.G.E.N compilation, Action Mugen. I got tired of all the bad M.U.G.E.N games out there on torrents and forums, so I set out to assemble a M.U.G.E.N game that was as balanced and playable as a commercial 2D fighting game. I wanted there to be a game available for anybody to download and play competitively with their friends without worrying about extensive configuration or characters that are too broken or too useless.
I take no credit for this game. Out of respect to Elecbyte, the developers of the characters' original games, the musicians who make up the soundtrack, and the entire M.U.G.E.N community, I mean no harm by distributing their works in this way. I will attempt to credit all resources I use in the game's credits. I respect the long hours that go into creating something original, and my efforts pale in comparison. I am not part of the M.U.G.E.N community. I do create content for other games, and I've had it stolen before, so I know what it's like. At the same time, it's disappointing to hear about so many awesome M.U.G.E.N creations only to find their only licensed download site is gone and their hard work unavailable by normal means. Indeed, many of the characters and stages in Action Mugen are no longer available from their creators, while other creators get really uptight when their work is found elsewhere. The community is in such a state of disrepair that even the editing tools are difficult to find. I would make an original title screen or character intros/endings but I cannot find Mugen Character Maker or a few other critical programs all the creators refer to. I might go back and add these things later, but for now I've lost my patience.
The complexity of building a M.U.G.E.N game is counter-productive to getting people to play it. In theory, EVERYONE who wants to play a M.U.G.E.N game needs to do all of these things: (I'm saving you the trouble of doing all this)
1. Receive the Winmugen beta from Elecbyte (who no longer exists)
2. Download the No Limit Winmugen patch to crack the Winmugen beta
3. Study the format of all .cfg and .def files in Winmugen, as you will be editing them every time you add something
4. Configure Winmugen for a resolution other than 320x240, get a better MP3 plugin, etc.
5. Find a good screenpack containing a title screen, character select screen, lifebars, etc.
6. Try to figure out what characters would fit in a good game (you start with only one character and it's useless)
7. Search for M.U.G.E.N versions of these characters (if their download sites still exist)
8. Download the character to the right place and make an entry in select.cfg to add it to the character select
9. If that version sucks in M.U.G.E.N, delete it and look for another version
10. Repeat steps 6 through 9 for every individual character until you have enough for a game (like 15-40)
11 Repeat steps 6 through 10 to get stages for every character
12. Find decent fight music for every stage, wherever you get your music from, and edit all music to loop properly
13. If there are errors, go look on some forums for how to fix that error
14. If a character is unbalanced, you may try to edit some of its variables (HP, attack power, etc.)
15. Furthermore edit all characters to work correctly with your chosen character select and lifebars
16. Grind away some more zzzzzzzzzzz
What I'm saying is getting your hands on a legit M.U.G.E.N game is a COLOSSAL PAIN IN THE ASS. It took two months for me to reach this point.
What makes this worse is that the vast majority of the M.U.G.E.N community only wants their stuff available from their own web sites, which more often than not have disappeared by now. The fact that full games such as this one are floating around on forums and torrents truly piss them off. The creators went through a lot of trouble making their content and getting it to work, the LEAST you can do is do all the crap above to get their stuff running on your PC, right?
Messing around in .cfg files and downloading everything individually does not work for the masses. Most gamers see M.U.G.E.N and ask "Where can I get it?" and get flamed by creators. M.U.G.E.N will not spread this way. People want to be able to download a game, open it, and play it. That's it. Anything beyond just installing it will make the average person lose interest. The way the creators want their work distributed is doomed to failure; the mainstream needs something reasonable.
Action Mugen exists to give your average fighting gamer a good game that they can download and play. Please enjoy this game, and spread it around. If you can make improvements on this game, update the credits below to reflect your changes and redistribute at will.