Fear Effect is an action game for the PlayStation. Developed by Kronos and published by Eidos, Fear Effect concerns the exploits of three mercenaries named Hana, Deke, and Glas in what's either a parallel universe or future version of China. Blade Runner has a major influence on the settings of Fear Effect, but the storyline also manages to incorporate Chinese mythology and zombies. The prequel, Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix, shows how the three main characters originally met.
When the daughter of a powerful Chinese businessman disappears, a team of specialists infiltrate the city and attempt to rescue her.
But what begins as a mercenary snatch and grab to retrieve a young runaway instead becomes a mission more perilous and important than any other: a battle for the survival of the planet against the King of Hell.
* Hana Tsu Vachel (Mei Yun) - After her parents were killed when she was a child, Mei Yun took to the streets, eventually becoming a prostitute for a woman known as Madam Chen. She was rescued by a man named Jin, who took advantage of her before helping her become a mercenary. She is a cold-blooded killer, lacking emotion in battle, but willing to fight to save young girls from a horrible life of prostitution.
* Royce Glas - The voice of reason, Glas tries to keep a level head throughout the game, and always tries to see past any situation to the real truth. That doesn't keep him from busting a few skulls when the need arises, though.
* Jacob "Deke" DeCourt - A greedy bastard, this stout fellow is willing to do whatever it takes to make a few bucks. However, his raw emotion sometimes gets him into trouble.
* Wee Ming - The daughter of a powerful Chinese Triad lord, she is the "target." The mercenaries try to capture her and extort her father for 90 million dollars, but they get more than they bargained for when they discover that she is the unwitting spawn of Hell.
* Mr. Lam - Wee Ming's father, he made a pact with the King of Hell for unlimited power.
* Madam Chen - The mistress of a Chinese whorehouse, Hana finds out, much to her dismay, when she thought that Chen was "a bitch from Hell", she wasn't so far off.
* Jin - Although he starts off the game as an old friend of Hana's, he is actually Yim Lau Wong, the King of Hell, masquerading as a man.
The game was originally titled Fear Factor, and some pre-release advertising used this title. The title was changed because it was too similar to popular metal band Fear Factory.