40 Recommendations for the Muslim Home
By Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
The Author's Introduction
Forming the Household
1. Making a good choice when choosing a wife.
2. Striving to guide one’s wife.
Creating an Atmosphere of Faith in the Home
1. Making the home a place for the remembrance of Allaah.
2. Make your homes a qiblah.
3. Spiritual training for the members of the household
4. Paying attention to adhkaar and Sunnah du’aa’s that have to do with the home.
5. Continuously reciting Soorat al-Baqarah in the house to ward off the Shaytaan
Islamic Knowledge in the Home
1. Teaching the family.
2. Start building an Islamic “library” in your home.
3. Home audio library.
4. Inviting good and righteous people and seekers of knowledge to visit the home.
5. Learning the Islamic rulings with regard to houses.
Meetings at Home
1. Creating opportunities for meetings to discuss family matters.
2. Not showing family conflicts in front of the children.
3. Not letting into the house anyone whose commitment to Islam is not pleasing to you.
4. Taking careful note of what family members are up to.
5. Paying attention to children at home.
6. Being strict in adhering to a schedule for meals and bedtime.
7. Re-evaluating women’s work outside the home.
8. Confidentiality: keeping family secrets.
Good Manners at Home
1. Spreading kindness in the home.
2. Helping one’s wife with the housework.
3. Being affectionate towards and joking with the members of the family.
4. Resisting bad manners in the home.
5. “Hang up the whip where the members of the household can see it.”
Evils in the Home
The Home Inside and Out
1. Choosing the neighbour before the house.
2. Paying attention to necessary repairs in the home, and making sure that the amenities are in good working order.
3. Paying attention to the family’s health and safety procedures.