eMule is a popular, P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing client for Microsoft Windows, based on the eDonkey2000 protocol. Started in May 2002 as an alternative to eDonkey2000, eMule now connects to both the eDonkey network and the Kad network. The distinguishing features of eMule are the direct exchange of sources between client nodes, fast recovery of corrupted downloads, and the use of a credit system to reward frequent uploaders. Furthermore, eMule transmits data in zlib-compressed form to save bandwidth.
eMule is coded in Microsoft Visual C++ using the Microsoft Foundation Classes. As of July 2002 eMule has been software, released under the GNU General Public License; its popularity has led to eMule's codebase being used as the basis of a Linux-specific client, xMule, and a multiplatform client, aMule, along with the release of many eMule mods (modifications of the original eMule) on the Internet.
eMule is one of the biggest and most reliable P2P file sharing clients around the world. Many developers contribute to the project, so the network gets more and more efficient with every new version.
A list of a few features available:
• Clients use several networks to create one reliable network. (ED2K, Source Exchange, Kad). Kad is now in an open testphase, eMule v0.42 can be enabled to use Kad
• eMule's Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network.
• Each file checked for corruptions while downloading to ensure an error free file.
• The eMules Intelligent Corruption Control helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts.
• Auto priorities and Source management allows you to start many downloads without having to monitor them.
• The Preview function allows you to look at your Videos and Archives before they are completed. For video previewing, we recommend the Video Lan Client.
• The eMule features webservices and a webserver that allows you to have quick access to and from the internet.
• You can create categories for your download to organize them.
• To find the file you want, eMule offers a wide range of search possibilities which include: Servers (Local, and Global), web based (Jigle, and Filedonkey), and Kad (Still in Alpha).
• eMule also allows you to use very complex Boolean searches that make the searches much more flexible.
• With the messaging and friend system, you can send messages to other Clients and add them as friends. In your friend list, you can always see if a friend is online.
• With the build in IRC client, you can chat with other downloaders and chatters around the globe.
Changes in eMule 0.49a:
- If extended controls are enabled (and if available) Kad search results show the amount of known unique publishers for a file in parentheses in the availability column (this isn't equal to sources, but it is a bit more trustworthy indicator how common a file is).
- Updated CxImage lib to the latest version (6.0), fixes some image processing vulnability (low risk for eMule) [reported: Steve Manzuik/Juniper Networks]
- Fixed Unicode issue in stored and loading searches
- DirectCallback sources are now properly added to and checked against the deadsource list