ePSXe (enhanced PSX emulator) is an emulator of the Sony PlayStation video game console for x86-based PC hardware. It was written by three authors, using the aliases \"Calb\", \"_Demo_\", and \"Galtor\". It has been described as the best freeware PlayStation emulator available.
ePSXe makes use of a plugin system to emulate GPU, SPU, and CD drive functions, similar to the model first introduced in PSEmu Pro. This approach is also taken in PCSX, PCSX2, and Project64. ePSXe is closed source with the exception of the application programming interface (API) for its plugins
ePSXe\'s stated system requirements are:
* Processor: Pentium 200 MHz, recommended 1 GHz.
* RAM: 256 MB RAM, recommended 512 MB RAM.
* Graphics card: 3D graphics card needed with support for OpenGL or Direct X.
* Operating system: Windows: 9x (95, or 98/98SE), NT (XP, 2000, Vista, etc)
* CD-ROM: 16x or faster (optional)
If the computer just meets the minimum system requirements, ePSXe will emulate games roughly, averaging from about 60% to 100% full speed depending on plugins are used and how high the settings are on them