Norton Antivirus 2009 is a dramatic improvement over previous versions. Norton's old versions were known to be computer resource hogs in the Tech community. However, Norton has addressed these concerns with their 2009 version - it's now the fastest scanning, and uses the least system memory of any of its major competitors (including Kaspersky, NOD32, McAfee, Trend, BitDefender and others). Norton 2009 is configured so that once installed you can set it and forget it. Norton's new Smart Scheduler waits until your computer is idle before running tasks that consume system resources (like LiveUpdate, Quick Scan, and Full System Scan). Nortons Silent Mode won't interrupt your games, movies or presentations with messages that can wait. A good Antivirus program should be unnoticed by the user the majority of the time, and Norton 2009 does a very good job at not being noticed.
Norton has both a Quick Scan and Full System Scan. On our test computer with a 300GB hard-drive it took Norton 24 seconds to perform its Quick Scan, while the Full System Scan took 57 minutes. This does seem long for Full System Scan, however, Norton 2009 has a remedy for long scan times with its new Norton Insight. Norton Insight identifies trusted files on your computer that do not require scanning, thus scanning times are greatly shortened. For example, on our 300GB hard-drive computer with Norton Antivirus 2009 installed on it, a Full System Scan was reduced to just over 8 minutes from 57 minutes before Norton Insight was run - an 85% reduction in scanning time. This improvement puts Norton's scanning times at the top of its class with short and effective scans. A great improvement over the 2008 version.Also new in the Norton 2009 version is the Pulse Updates feature that automatically downloads new Virus Definitions every 5-15 minutes. This new feature gives you the most up-to-date protection of any antivirus program available. Norton AntiVirus 2009 protects your computer against Viruses, Spyware, and other malicious software and Internet threats
Top new features
• Botnet protection
• Browser protection
• Internet worm protection
• Intrusion prevention
• Rapid Pulse Updates
• Recovery Tool
• Rootkit protection
• Norton Insight
• SONAR behavioral protection
• Operating system and Application protection
• Stops viruses, worms, spyware, bots, and more—Keeps your system protected against all types of malicious threats.
• Norton Insight—Delivers innovative intelligence-driven technology for faster, fewer, shorter scans.
• NEW! Rapid pulse updates every 5 to 15 minutes—Provides up-to-the minute protection against new threats.
• Prevents virus-infected email and instant messages from spreading—Stay secure while you keep in touch.
• Blocks browser exploits and protects against infected Web sites—Surf the Internet with confidence.