Despite its reputation as a digital-media powerhouse, previous versions of Nero haven't pleased everyone. Casual users love the low price, but complain about the lack of hand-holding. Techies love the specialized components, but are put off by the lack of integration. The grumblings must have touched a nerve. Nero 8 features a redesigned SmartStart portal that pulls key functions into the initial interface. It also has some nifty new add-ons, including a data-recovery tool, improved 2D and 3D menu templates for disc authoring, and expanded support for Blu-ray and HD DVD. Taken together, the various components provide just about all the disc-burning, media-conversion, and media-editing capabilities you're likely to need.
Nero 8 • System Requirements
General System Requirements
* DVD-ROM drive for the installation
* Windows® 2000 (SP4 or later), Windows® XP (SP1 or later), Windows® Server™ 2003 (SP1 or later), Windows® XP Media Center Edition Windows Vista®
Gadgets are not available for Windows Vista® x64
Nero ImageDrive currently supports Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP (32 Bit only)
* Windows® XP Professional x64, Windows® Vista® x64 (all applications except InCD, and Nero Scout work in the x86 emulator, which allows 32-bit applications to run)
* DirectX 9.0c or better
* Windows® Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher
* 1 GHz Intel® Pentium® III processor, AMD Sempron™ 2200+ or equivalent
* Minimum 256 MB RAM (for Windows Vista® minimum 512 MB RAM)
* 1.2 GB hard drive space for standard installation of all components
* Up to 9 GB available drive space for DVD images and temporary DVD files
* Graphics card with at least 32 MB video memory and a minimum resolution of 800 x 600 pixels and 16-bit color settings. However, we recommend 24-bit or 32-bit for true color.
* CD and/or DVD/DVD-RAM recorder
* Installation of the latest WHQL (Microsoft® Windows® Hardware Quality Labs) certified device driver strongly recommended
* Internet connection with DSL 1000 speed or higher for the registration and the update of the Nero 8 help files and other functions. It is also required for the activation of the complete functional range (DVD, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, and AVC), which will be required 30 days after installation. This activation is free of charge. The costs for the Internet connection are carried by the user.
* To install Nero 8 you must have administrative rights for all operating systems higher than Windows® 2000.
* For capturing and burning in real time: at least 1.6 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Sempron™ 2600+
* At least 1.4 GHz Intel® Pentium® processor with 256 RAM for TV recording and DVD video editing
* Drive with SecurDisc™ support
* 16-bit Windows® compatible sound devices and speakers