Why the name Progex? Because it's a word deviation of progress and project, which describes it best. Even if this is the first official release, Progex had a local success with other releases. It is based on the latest Ubuntu 8.10 and has a Gnome user interface. Unlike other distributions, Progex includes a large collection of programs that were manually configured so that the user can do almost anything out-of-the-box (including audio-video editing and much more) and without spending time configuring after installation. That's the main reason why it's on DVD. Progex was born so it can be the most complete distribution and to serve all kinds of end-users.
Why should i choose Progex?
* You won't loose time installing and configuring programs (we took care of this).
* It's easy to use even by kids or people that never used a Linux distribution before.
* It's the most complete Linux distribution. You can do anything without downloading new programs from the internet.
* All the people who tested it before the official release were satisfied.
* It has a professional look, layout and feel and it's free.
* Because you deserve better.
* And because you got to see for yourself.
* Cairo Dock - Cairo-dock is an animated application launch bar for the desktop.
* Nautilus Scripts - Scripts for nautilus file browser like "open as root", "copy to ..." etc.
* Glipper - Glipper is a clipboard manager for the GNOME Panel. It maintains a history of text copied to the clipboard from which you can choose.
* Conky - Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor that displays any information on your desktop.
* Gnome Commander - GNOME Commander is a "two-pane" graphical file manager for the GNOME desktop environment similar to Total Commander.
* Launchy - Launchy is a free windows and linux utility designed to help you forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager.
* Screenlets - Widgets for your desktop.
* Agave - Agave is an application, especially for web designers, that lets you compare and experiment with color schemes.
* Blender - Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems.
* Cheese Webcam Booth - Take photos and videos with your webcam, with fun graphical effects.
* F-Spot Photo Manager - F-Spot simplifies digital photography by providing intuitive tools to help you share, touch-up, find and organize your images.
* Gimp 2.6 - Gimp is a image manipulation program similar to Adobe Photoshop.
* Inkscape - Vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
* Open Office 3.00 - OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.
* Qcad - QCad is a computer-aided design (CAD) software package for 2D design and drafting.
* Dc++ - Linux port of the famous client DC++ for the P2P network Direct Connect.
* Deluge BitTorrent Client - Deluge is a full-featured BitTorrent client for Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
* Emesene - An IM for the WLM network.
* Firefox 3.0.3 - Browse the World Wide Web.
* Thunderbird - Thunderbird is an email application that allows you to customize your email to suit your specific needs whether it’s how you search and find messages or listening to music right out of your inbox.
* OpenJDK Java 6 - OpenJDK Java 6 is a open source version of Java Sun.
* Flash 10 - Is a cross-platform browser plug-in that delivers breakthrough web experience.
* Pidgin 2.5.2 - Pidgin is a multi-protocol Instant Messaging client that allows you to use all of your IM accounts at once.
* Skype - Skype is an voice-over-ip application that allows you to make free calls over the internet to other people on Skype.
* Vuze 4.0 - Vuze is the easiest way to find, download, and play high-quality and HD videos. All-in-one bittorrent client.
* XChat - XChat is an IRC chat program for both Linux and Windows. It allows you to join multiple IRC channels (chat rooms) at the same time, talk publicly, private one-on-one conversations etc.
* Ardour GTK2 - Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit and mix multi-track audio. You can produce your own CDs, mix video soundtracks, or just experiment with new ideas about music and sound.
* Audacious 1.5.1 - Audacious is a music player similar to Winamp.
* Audacity - Audacity is a open source software for recording and editing sounds.
* Avidemux - Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs.
* Brasero - Brasero is a application to burn CD/DVD for the Gnome Desktop. It is designed to be as simple as possible and has some unique features to enable users to create their discs easily and quickly.
* Jack Control - Jack Control is a simple Qt application to control the JACK audio sound server daemon for the Linux Audio Desktop infrastructure.
* Totem - Totem is the official movie player of the GNOME desktop environment based on xine-lib or GStreamer. It features a playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume controls, as well as keyboard navigation.
* Pitivi Video Editor - PiTiVi is a free video editing software. It allows users to easily edit audio/video projects based on the GStreamer framework.
* Rhythmbox Music Player - Rhythmbox Music Player is a music player for tagged files, that support various music formats.
* Rosegarden - Rosegarden is a well-rounded audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment.
* VLC Media Player - VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, etc.) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
* Compiz Fusion Icon - The Compiz Fusion Icon is a simple panel applet for starting and controlling Compiz Fusion.
* EnvyNG - EnvyNG is an application that allows you to Install/Uninstall the ATI or the NVIDIA driver.
* NTFS Configuration Tool - Enable/Disable write support for NTFS with a simple click.
* Ubuntu Tweak 0.4.0 - Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for everyone. It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default desktop environment isn’t provided.
* Wine - Wine is an Open Source implementation of Windows applications.
* Wine-Doors - Wine-doors is an application designed to make installing windows software on Linux, Solaris or other Unix systems easier. Wine-doors is essentially a package management tool for windows software on Linux systems.
* CompizConfig Settings Manager - CompizConfig Settings Manager, is a configuration tool for Compiz Fusion. It is used to configure the many plugins included in Compiz and Compiz Fusion, as well as the use of various profiles and intergrating better with existing desktop settings.
* Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager - Is the simple version CompizConfig Settings Manager.
* Emerald - Emerald Theme Manager allows you to install, edit and switch between Emerald themes. As a window decorator, Emerald controls the appearance of your window borders.
* APTonCD - APTonCD is a tool with a graphical interface which allows you to create one or more CDs or DVDs (you choose the type of media) with all of the packages you've downloaded.
* Gufw - Gufw is an easy, intuitive, way to manage your Linux firewall.
* GParted - GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems on them.
* Remastersys - Remastersys is a tool for creating a live CD/DVD of Ubuntu.
* StartUp-Manager - StartUp Manager, or SUM, is a gui tool for changing settings in the bootloader and splash screen in Ubuntu.
* Ndiswrapper - Windows Wireless Driver Manager
* Control Center - Control Center is an application providing all configuration items for your GNOME/Computer settings all categorised and easy to find.
* Gstreamer Media Codecs - Codecs for playing audio-video files.