Gameplay has been improved for Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, with key additions as an improved Teamvision system, tactics change according to situation, better of the ball fluency AI recognizing strategies that works accumulating data on an ongoing basis within Master League and League modes. Another new addition is the readjustments for ball movements. PES 2009 has new air resistance calculations for the trajectory of the ball. There will also be new friction routines to affect ball movement in terms of ground conditions, backspin routines are calculated so that ball slows accordingly, and the bounce of the ball can be used more effectively: players can flick the ball up to tee a shot, or to lift it over a defender's trailing leg. Skills are now integrated more into the game. If a player has the ability, they will be able to perform skilful turns. There will also be adjusted controls to make close control more intuitive. All new Manual Passing and there is no slowdown in replays or matches. PES 2009 will also feature a new game mode called 'Become A Legend', much like EA Sports FIFA Series Be a Pro mode where you will take control of a chosen player throughout his career.
* Exclusive UEFA Champions League mode, utilising all the elements and attributes of the competition (seventh generation and PC versions only)
* Improved graphics
* With smarter AI system your team mates will be constantly seeking out open space, taking intelligent lines toward the goal and on defence and also actively calling for the ball
* New, more realistic camera angles
* New teams, players and stadiums
* Improvements to the Master League Mode – Play as one player
* New Become a Legend Mode and online playable Legends Mode
* Updated rosters from clubs and national teams
* Using a supported USB camera, import data to create your own player or team emblems
* Great improvements in ball control, passing and your team-mates reactions are more in tune with how team-mates react in real life
* LED hoardings (seventh generation and PC versions only)
* Free updates, to be downloaded within the game, provided by Konami to cover recent transfers.