The newest addition to the highly successful Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra Australian Composer Series, The Fifth Continent showcases the work of one of Australia's greatest composers Peter Sculthorpe. The album features two versions of the poignant 'Port Arthur: In Memoriam', written in response to the 1996 massacre, an event which deeply touched Sculthorpe whose family have lived in peaceful Tasmania for generations. The title piece 'The Fifth Continent' is a five movement work which includes parts for spoken voice (spoken by Sculthorpe himself) and didjeridu, and is based on text by D. H. Lawrence.
1. Port Arthur: In Memoriam for orchestra (version with trumpet)
2. Djilile for small orchestra
3. The Fifth Continent for speaker and orchestra
4. Lament for solo cello and string orchestra
5. Little Suite for string orchestra
6. Night-Song for string orchestra
7. Port Arthur: In Memoriam for orchestra (version with oboe)