The most recent full release of MPLAB IDE introduces these new features:
These new features are added to MPLAB IDE v8.10 (new device support is listed in the Release Notes):
- Silicon Debug Resource Toolbar A new toolbar details the usage of silicon debug features (trace, HW breaks) in the currently selected device for in-circuit emulation or in-circuit debugging. The toolbar indicates if software breakpoints are supported in the device, and whether they are enabled or disabled.
- Trace Improvements The disassembled instruction at the trace point is now displayed, and new buttons allow trace step back and trace step forward.
- DMCI Run-time Data Monitor DMCI (in concert with a target-resident monitor and a serial connection) can change application variables during run-time.
- PIC18 Data Capture PIC18-family devices can now stream data off of the device at run time to be displayed in the run-time watch window or the DMCI.
- Triggered Control of PIC32 Trace Start/Stop New capabilities have been added to the MPLAB REAL ICE to start or stop the collection of trace data based on trigger criteria.
- Project Folder Management Project files not tied directly to the current project directory structure can be organized and managed along with other project files.
- Software Breakpoints for PIC18 MCUs PIC18-family devices can use software breakpoints with MPLAB REAL ICE.
- Default Linker Script for PIC18 MCUs Eliminates linker script confusion by automatically using a default linker script. No longer does the engineer need to switch linker scripts when using an in-circuit emulator or debugger. Additionally, the linker wizard doesnt ask to select a linker script, which reduces the complexity of making projects. Additionally, the PIC18 family has a generic setting for building libraries that will work with any PIC18-family device.
- Fast Swapping Between Project Symbol Sets This eases debugging of applications that are built using two projects, such as those with a bootloader.
- Automated Updates MPLAB IDE checks the Microchip web site to see if a newer version is available and notifies the user.
- Patch for MPLAB PM3 and 25AA020A devices This patch fixes a problem with MPLAB PM3 programmer when importing hex files from 25AA0020A devices. Unzip and place in the Crogram FilesMicrochipMPLAB IDEDevice folder.